One piece bay window?

gdesignbuild

I haven't had to use the option for bay windows much in CA. One thing that I notice is that they display as 3 windows built into angled walls. How can one draw a one-piece bay window, like you would buy from a window supplier? Or is this not possible?

1 hour ago, gdesignbuild said:

I haven't had to use the option for bay windows much in CA. One thing that I notice is that they display as 3 windows built into angled walls. How can one draw a one-piece bay window, like you would buy from a window supplier? Or is this not possible?

It is possible. I use a pony wall. The lower portion is my default exterior wall. The upper portion is a thinner, single layer wall with the same material as the window jamb. This allow 3 separate windows with shallower frames to be placed and dragged close to the corners. 3D moldings for casing. Polyline solids for top and bottom jamb-liner.

So in summary, it's about as much work as the actual manufacturing process. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.

image.thumb.png.d68f484181b5f26933f84b240d8cc354.pngimage.thumb.png.9e6c58366d5777a0d7271742a6a4d48b.png

18 hours ago, rgardner said:

Garden window in one of the catalogs.

It's in the Core windows library but is square sided, not sure why Chief doesn't have one of these 1pc Bay Windows too? they are not uncommon and made to replace a standard window , without alot of extra framing if you are lucky.

like these from Jeldwen

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN-74-in-x-43-in-V-4500-Series-Black-FiniShield-Vinyl-Bay-Window-THDJW139600080/205524901

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It not too hard to make your Own 1 pc Bay Window,  I use an Exterior Fixture Symbol, made out of P.Solids and set it to insert into the Wall ( Symbol Options) 1/16 more than the wall thickness and then Place a Passthrough, ( Window) to get the rest of the Trim to cleanup the opening.

Then place whichever Roof type you want over it if need , eg Hip in the Pics.

image.thumb.png.d6a7c9f7a20cd05bde5d49f8b3fadd68.png image.thumb.png.1e29d3c10190673ed8b479e883edad95.png  

image.thumb.png.f4748b0729f1a5b47744ad8bb61b18ac.png  image.thumb.png.c080e2cb885e25a22336bbca69e5b1d5.png

• Upvote 1

Seems like Chief would make that easier considering how common it is. 

The unit in the bonus catalogue does not show up in the schedule correctly.

Of course you can build it piece by piece but that is not for novice users. I sometimes make another room for the window box. Set the floor and ceiling height for this room to the box size as well as set them to 2x2 floor and ceiling framing. Then create a pass-through between the "rooms". You then place windows and join the units by deselecting "Frame - Has Corner Post" in the dbx.

Then put a roof on it. 

It is time consuming but allows for full control of all dimensions while being easily shown in the window schedule. 

I am sure there is a better way and I'm curious to hear other's methods...

What is it that you want differently that the auto bay window doesn't provide.

Are you aware that you can access each window individually and you then have full control of the windows properties?

This is an auto bay window. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 4.45.30 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 4.57.33 pm.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2021 at 6:20 PM, Kbird1 said:

It's in the Core windows library but is square sided, not sure why Chief doesn't have one of these 1pc Bay Windows too? they are not uncommon and made to replace a standard window , without alot of extra framing if you are lucky.

like these from Jeldwen

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN-74-in-x-43-in-V-4500-Series-Black-FiniShield-Vinyl-Bay-Window-THDJW139600080/205524901

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It not too hard to make your Own 1 pc Bay Window,  I use an Exterior Fixture Symbol, made out of P.Solids and set it to insert into the Wall ( Symbol Options) 1/16 more than the wall thickness and then Place a Passthrough, ( Window) to get the rest of the Trim to cleanup the opening.

Then place whichever Roof type you want over it if need , eg Hip in the Pics.

image.thumb.png.d6a7c9f7a20cd05bde5d49f8b3fadd68.png image.thumb.png.1e29d3c10190673ed8b479e883edad95.png  

image.thumb.png.f4748b0729f1a5b47744ad8bb61b18ac.png  image.thumb.png.c080e2cb885e25a22336bbca69e5b1d5.png

Kbird1 can you post a plan file with that window in it?  I would love to see how you built it.