rockyshepheard

Creating two materials on one wall and filling wall gap between two floors.

Recommended Posts

My questions are in the image.
1-Basically how can you put a material on front of a wall but another on the wall's side. 
2-How to best fill a gap between the bottom of a pony wall on floor 1 and the top of the wall on the basement.
CA file attached.
Thanks to all for looking at!
R

CAFORUM.jpg

windows doors terrain.plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the corner.

Select the pony wall.

Edit Wall Layer Intersections (edit toolbar)

Drag the wall grip so that it forms a 45deg joint between the 2 walls.

 

For the floor gap, 

Select the pony wall and open it's dbx.

Structure panel>Platform Intersections>Go Through Floor Below.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job, Rocky!  Your questions were posed clearly, backed up with an annotated image, you included the plan file, and the thread title gave us the content!

 

A model for us all.  I gave you an upvote.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a better alternative than a 45 degree corner, to color the edge of the non-pony wall?
Also, the actual pony wall fix worked but it has a visible gap between itself its wall. I don't recall this happening before with pony walls.
Thanks for helping.

yellow edge.jpg

gap.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Is there a better alternative than a 45 degree corner, to color the edge of the non-pony wall?
Also, the actual pony wall fix worked but it has a visible gap between itself its wall. I don't recall this happening before with pony walls.
Thanks for helping.

yellow edge.jpg

gap.jpg

Using the same tool you can make it go around the corner to meet with the side wall.  Will work in both cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan,

I cannot find the tools mentioned. I selected the pony wall>wall specifications>layers...don't see anything about interesections. Am I in the correct location of maybe I have old version of software?
Thanks,

Rocky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockyshepheard said:

Ryan,

I cannot find the tools mentioned. I selected the pony wall>wall specifications>layers...don't see anything about interesections. Am I in the correct location of maybe I have old version of software?
Thanks,

Rocky

 

7 hours ago, glennw said:

For the corner.

Select the pony wall.

Edit Wall Layer Intersections (edit toolbar)

Drag the wall grip so that it forms a 45deg joint between the 2 walls.

 

For the floor gap, 

Select the pony wall and open it's dbx.

Structure panel>Platform Intersections>Go Through Floor Below.

 

As Glenn mentioned select the wall (do not open) and use the “Edit wall layer intersections” tool that appears in the edit toolbar at the bottom.  Search help if you don’t know what that tool is or does.  It looks like an intersecting set of Blue walls or an L shape.

 

if you don’t want to see the mitered corner you can pull it around so it’s a square.  Other option would be to pull that whole wall 6-12” around the corner so it ends naturally.  
 

btw what he says about the spray can may be true in your case.

14 minutes ago, solver said:

I'll suggest you have wall definition problems, and overuse of the spray can to apply materials.

 

ct2.thumb.png.9b9ddfcbb0c837b59374595b5551b1d9.png

 

 

ct3.thumb.png.4dee21c4f08d0dbecdbf0d4177549f9b.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over use of spray can? Do you mean spraying once on wall x, then spraying once again on wall x? 
Thx

connect walls.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, that doesn't show up in toolbar when I select wall.
I have Premier 11

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Over use of spray can? Do you mean spraying once on wall x, then spraying once again on wall x? 
Thx

connect walls.jpg

No not the connect walls button.  Do you have the one wall selected?  Not both.  Just the wall you want to adjust the layers on. Maybe search the help files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

No not the connect walls button.  Do you have the one wall selected?  Not both.  Just the wall you want to adjust the layers on. Maybe search the help files?

I have only one wall selected but the blue L doesn't show up. Try it to see.

 

windows doors terrain.plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You need to select the wall in PLAN VIEW.

Ahh! I will try. Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Ahh! I will try. Thx

 

You can also select the wall in 3D but you need to select it by clicking on the top and not on the face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how to clean up this one corner. Not sure if it is because of over definition of wall.
Is someone willing to do it in the file for me? File is attached above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I'm trying to achieve but it is too difficult for me. I'm overwhelmed.Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.479a68344dcbd958d236c84be62cddbe.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, solver said:

 

Why?

 

Why a pony wall? Why not a regular (non pony wall) wall?

Well, the design of the house calls for stone that dimensionally stands away from the wall a certain distance and has a cap. Plus it can be raised to any given height unlike  a wall, I assume.
Therefore my question about raising it to next floor. If I used a regular wall I'd have to "inset" the yellow wall offset from the regular wall.
Is dragging the only way to bring it up to the upper floor pony wall and if so, will the walls suddenly change at any given time based on some other seemingly unrelated modification?
Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockyshepheard said:

 

I think what Erick was saying is make your first floor wall just the masonry wall, make your second floor pony wall with lower wall as masonry, and the upper as the yellow wall.  Set your elevation you want and it will auto build it how you want.  Really discourage dragging walls as it will cause issues later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I think what Erick was saying is make your first floor wall just the masonry wall, make your second floor pony wall with lower wall as masonry, and the upper as the yellow wall.  Set your elevation you want and it will auto build it how you want.  Really discourage dragging walls as it will cause issues later.

I see, but if the first floor is masonry wall, won' the second floor with pony wall stick out (cantilever wise)over the masonry wall? The first and second floors should be continuous face with not inset or outset.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why you are using a pony wall, then wanting the lower wall type to extend up to the wall above, essentially doing away with the upper wall on the pony wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And are you using X10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28448
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Burtonmadness
    Newest Member
    Burtonmadness
    Joined