stevenyhof

Auto Build Roof Framing - Default

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but when I set the defaults for the roofs to auto build roof framing, it works after I set it for the following roofs I build. But when I open the plan again to work on, I need to set this default back on. ??? 

autoroof.jpg

If you are talking about your template plan then you would need to re-save the file as your new template.  Unless you are referring to a file that already has roof planes...   That would be a longer story.

It is a plan from my template which does not have it selected.

But after creating a new plan (from the template) I set the defaults to build rafters.

And now I am finding it un-checks when I leave the plan view to a 3d view and go back. That does not seem right to me.

Might sound like a silly question but just to make sure, you are clicking OK and not just closing or canceling the dialog box right?

11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Might sound like a silly question but just to make sure, you are clicking OK and not just closing or canceling the dialog box right?

Yes. Now I am opening the Build Roof first to make sure of my settings and it works from there. Maybe I am doing something that is causing the default to reset ???

6 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Maybe I am doing something that is causing the default to reset ???

Only thing I know of that can cause that problem is you manually modifying framing in one way or another and then clicking "Yes" to the "The current operation modifies a roof framing member....Would you like to turn off Automatic Roof Framing and continue with this operation?" question.

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Only thing I know of that can cause that problem is you manually modifying framing in one way or another and then clicking "Yes" to the "The current operation modifies a roof framing member....Would you like to turn off Automatic Roof Framing and continue with this operation?" question.

Very possible! Now I need to figure out how to turn it back on - the browser is not letting me upload my plan. 

Maybe I need to go back to an archive.

Michael, I think I need to retain your services for things like this. 

roofs.jpg

error.jpg

Because I also built my roof over the main floor, but now I want to put dormers in the second floor and I'm not real sure how to cut my roofs on other planes. I know i seen a video on moving roofs to another floor - but I cant find it back

Move roof up or down a floor is a button icon at bottom dialog box when you've selected a plane or planes.

• Like 1

I think I figured it out. My roof was on the attic level. The rafters seem to show on the floor below - I also found the tools to raise the roof to another level to work on

icons.jpg

10 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Move roof up or down a floor is a button icon at bottom dialog box when you've selected a plane or planes.

This has has been a nice learning opportunity. I love that you can move roofs up or down to work on additional roofs. That is amazing to me. 

roof2.jpg

Watch the training video "Roof Design Strategies."  Very useful info.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Watch the training video "Roof Design Strategies."  Very useful info.

I will do it now - Thank you

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just for the record, I was turning the auto build rafters off <_<

error.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Very possible! Now I need to figure out how to turn it back on - the browser is not letting me upload my plan. 

roofs.jpg

error.jpg

You have to have the file closed out of Chief before you can send it or upload it anywhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rgardner said:

You have to have the file closed out of Chief before you can send it or upload it anywhere.

Thank you! I should have thought of that  

On 8/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, stevenyhof said:

roofs.jpg

error.jpg

Chief locks Files while open , so you can't upload it while open in Chief. 

On 8/3/2020 at 4:11 PM, stevenyhof said:

This has has been a nice learning opportunity. I love that you can move roofs up or down to work on additional roofs. That is amazing to me. 

roof2.jpg

Just to Clarify ...Chief doesn't actually move the Roof Planes up or down, it just displays them on a different floor for you so you can work on them easier eg joining them etc....

Or when you need to send ALL planes to Layout and show then on a 1 page "Roof Plan" View some jurisdiction like.

M.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Just to Clarify ...Chief doesn't actually move the Roof Planes up or down, it just displays them on a different floor for you so you can work on them easier eg joining them etc....

Yes, that is what I find so amazing!