Quick Changing the Selection Marquee

BeachHouse1

I'm sorry to ask so many really basic questions.  I have found that searches for information from Chief, on the Web, sometime requires very specific search filters.

I'm trying to find out if there is a quick method for changing from "Intersected Objects" to "Contained Objects" without going to the preferences?

The following article shows the Preference Method.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00130/changing-marquee-selection-modes.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeachHouse1 said:

changing from "Intersected Objects" to "Contained Objects" without going to the preferences?

If you like hot keys, it's the way to go for this.  I have S,W for Select Window (Contained) and S,X for Select Crossing (intersected). 

Very easy keys to hit without moving your hands.  Not sure, but may interfere with other Chief hot keys if you use the OOB hotkeys though.  

• Like 1

I've requested this a couple of times but no joy.

Cursor Method to select "Crossing" or 'Contained" selections.

When the cursor in the click-drag moves in the relative -X direction (left) the "Crossing Method" is used.

When the cursor in the click-drag moves in the relative +X direction (right) the "Contained Method" is used.

No buttons or No Hotkeys needed.

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

I've requested this a couple of times but no joy.

Cursor Method to select "Crossing" or 'Contained" selections.

When the cursor in the click-drag moves in the relative -X direction (left) the "Crossing Method" is used.

When the cursor in the click-drag moves in the relative +X direction (right) the "Contained Method" is used.

No buttons or No Hotkeys needed.

Yep... that was a nice feature in AutoCad.

Speaking of AutoCad.  First, I wouldn't go back to using it for architecture. I used Architectural Desktop since the nineties,  It was never competitive against Chief even with the VisionRez extensions.

Having said that.  I am amazed at how seriously lacking the CAD portion of Chief is.  Offset lines that require an instructions manual.  Copy and paste with endless mouse clicks, no construction lines, the list goes on.  You would think that if they are interested in eroding the massive AutoCad market they would go directly after the feature set so many people are used to. The AutoCad CAD portion actually works better.

This is a perfect time to get AutoCAD users to switch to Chief, Autodesk is focusing on ending AutoCad Architecture and switching everyone over to Revit.  Many of them, like myself, that have made an entire career from Autodesk products will not want to learn Revit,  Revit is  really primarily for  teams working on Commercial buildings.  The point is, many would embrace not having to give up the advanced Cad tools, and get all of the residential design tools from Chief.  

My free two sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeachHouse1 said:

I am amazed at how seriously lacking the CAD portion of Chief is.  Offset lines that require an instructions manual.  Copy and paste with endless mouse clicks, no construction lines, the list goes on.

I share your sentiments here on a daily/weekly basis.  Yes, the relatively easy 3D is wonderful... and if they don't continually improve that aspect they'll fall behind competitors with the eye-candy, but the real world still requires cad and it's just as important as the 3D.

The offset one really nags me the most.  A real 'offset' command has been requested before, and I've been planning to add my own request for it again recently.  Having to go into preferences to set a 'jump' behavior when a specific offset is desired on anything other than an orthogonal move/copy is mind-numbingly ridiculous.  For a polyline you have to grab from a corner grip in-order to offset uniformly so you can't input an orthogonal distance... unless you can do the square root in your head you have to set the jump behavior.

Not sure I follow you on the Copy & Paste and endless mouse clicks though?  I take it you're not using hot-keys?  Some will not recommend re-doing Chiefs hot-keys, but I had a whole hot-key system from AutoCad that I did my best to re-use with Chief.  I use C,C for Copy and V,V for paste-hold position 

I too will not go back to Autocad to create house plans but for details & section views a more robust CAD environment would be so nice.

Another area I feel is lacking in Chief is Ruby. Autocad has exposed most of the inner working & provided so much language support to the programer that many things are possible in Autocad.

• Like 1