Layout Page numbering question

DzinEye

If you set it up on each page with the # sign it will auto populate based on used oages

for example my typical set is 

G-01

G-02
G-03

A-01

A-02

A-03

S-01

S-02

S-03

etc...

put in whatever you want it to preface with I.E. G-0# will auto populate the sheet number .

25 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

You could create a macro to handle double digits if you don't want the 0 to preface 10,12, etc.

Part of my goals.  I just have it setup in my template with A-0# (9th page) going to A-10 then A-1#

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

I may be confused...what method of numbering are you using?

I use the XX-# inserted into the page label.

In this way you can always type in XX-1.1 to manually insert a page without reordering the other labels.

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

If you set it up on each page with the # sign it will auto populate based on used pages
put in whatever you want it to preface with I.E. G-0# will auto populate the sheet number .

Thanks guys.  The way I've been working... which I've just learned from Michael is wrong (of course)... is that on Layout page 0 I've been using the macro A%page%... which automatically numbers my pages A1-A100 ad infinitum.  I've known I can do better, but have prioritized other things.  So now that you know that,  my question was specifically this:  If for example I have pages A1 - A15 and I need to add a new page between pages A12 and A13, but I want to keep what's on all the existing pages (A13 - A15) the same, I would like to insert a page A12.1.

So...from Michael, and now you (though you've not specifically said it) it sounds like you're also saying I should be using the Edit Page Information Dbx.... am I correct?  
Still... I'm just back from lunch and I've only just had 5-minutes to play with using Edit Page Info...but I'm not there yet... 

37 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Thanks guys.  The way I've been working... which I've just learned from Michael is wrong (of course)... is that on Layout page 0 I've been using the macro A%page%... which automatically numbers my pages A1-A100 ad infinitum.  I've known I can do better, but have prioritized other things.  So now that you know that,  my question was specifically this:  If for example I have pages A1 - A15 and I need to add a new page between pages A12 and A13, but I want to keep what's on all the existing pages (A13 - A15) the same, I would like to insert a page A12.1.

So...from Michael, and now you (though you've not specifically said it) it sounds like you're also saying I should be using the Edit Page Information Dbx.... am I correct?  
Still... I'm just back from lunch and I've only just had 5-minutes to play with using Edit Page Info...but I'm not there yet... 

Yes exactly.  You would just replace the a-1# with a-12.1

Okay... using the Edit Page Info method, I see that I can simply just put in the entire page number I want, e.g.: A-12.1, but use A-# designation before and after that and I'll get what I want.    
I liked my A%page% setup because I didn't have to do anything except on page 0...  but the limitations are now obvious.  

Just now, rgardner said:

Yes exactly.  You would just replace the a-1# with a-12.1

Thank you Ryan... just figured that out!

So now that I see I need to add these page# designation to all my template pages, I have another question for you.
Let's say your template has 3 G-pages and 12 A-pages and 10 S-pages, and your newest project needs  5 G-pages and 20 A-pages and 15 S-pages.    Am I correct to assume that you would have to use Insert Page (before or after) X number of times in the right places, and then manually go into the Edit Page Info for each  of the new pages and put in the correct page numbering info ?   Maybe best to just get it over with in the first setup and add way more pages than I think I'll ever need?

7 minutes ago, solver said:

Question for Ryan / Rene

If using the Layout Page Label (%layout.label% macro), it seems like you would need to edit every page to enter the label -- A-#, G-# etc.

Is this correct?

That is correct Eric.  I had seen this info prior in Kevin's question below, but until today I did not understand the answers.  Only needs to be done once though... that is I think, as long as you set up enough pages, per my follow-up question to Ryan above).

9 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

That is correct Eric.  I had seen this info prior in Kevin's question below, but until today I did not understand the answers.  Only needs to be done once though... that is I think, as long as you set up enough pages, per my follow-up question to Ryan above).

Yuppers.  I have my layout file setup not only taking into account a large three story home but with all possibilities such as for roof framing if not trusses, m.e.p for all floors, landscaping, grading, etc.  if it’s a smaller home or simpler plans then just delete the unwanted pages and it’s quicker to flip through and it autocorrects the sheet index and order.

25 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Thank you Ryan... just figured that out!

So now that I see I need to add these page# designation to all my template pages, I have another question for you.
Let's say your template has 3 G-pages and 12 A-pages and 10 S-pages, and your newest project needs  5 G-pages and 20 A-pages and 15 S-pages.    Am I correct to assume that you would have to use Insert Page (before or after) X number of times in the right places, and then manually go into the Edit Page Info for each  of the new pages and put in the correct page numbering info ?   Maybe best to just get it over with in the first setup and add way more pages than I think I'll ever need?

If this comes up you can duplicate the page before it and delete any cad work or layout boxes referenced for that sheet.  Would have to fix any page naming you have if using macros to auto fill that info like I do, but pretty quick.

16 minutes ago, solver said:

Question for Ryan / Rene

If using the Layout Page Label (%layout.label% macro), it seems like you would need to edit every page to enter the label -- A-#, G-# etc.

Is this correct?

5 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

That is correct Eric

Not if you don't want to. I tend to duplicate my sheets as I go from the project browser.

15 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Not if you don't want to. I tend to duplicate my sheets as I go from the project browser.

I assume you must be somewhere in the middle though?... Your template has more pages than you'll usually need, but not enough that deleting unused pages is more work than creating a few new ones?

Duplicate Page is new in X12 , but you can add as many pages to each section ( G, A, E, F, MEP etc ) as you want , if they are not used ( ie: nothing on them at all , except the TitleBar ) in the Current Project Chief does not Print them.

If you remove the # from the inserted page Label eg F-# and number it as needed eg F- 5.1 it will insert right after F5 as Rene mentioned above.

** this is using the seemingly SOP of using the Layout page label macro  NOT the Page number Macro on page 0

It would be nice if you could put the page Label format in page Templates and have each successive page automatically pick up that Label format without having to specify the format or the Template to use.  ie:

• Template G - Label: G-#
  • G-1
  • G-2
  • G-3
  • Template A - Label: A-#
  • A-1
  • A-2
  • A-3
  • A-4
  • Template S - Label: S-#
  • S-1
  • S-2
  • S-3

This scheme would simply pass the Label formatting from the Template to each successive page.  It would also be nice if the Layout Page Table would optionally leave a space at each new template location.

I would post this as a Suggestion but since it might not be what everyone would want, I don't want to do that yet.  There would probably need to be an over-ride capability if the Label format was specified for any page rather than it being left blank.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It would be nice if you could put the page Label format in page Templates and have each successive page automatically pick up that Label format without having to specify the format or the Template to use.  ie:

I haven't yet tried the Duplicate Page ability, but after reading the posts by Rene and Mick I wanted to try and see how it worked exactly in regards to numbering... and your reply answers the question without me having to do it.  Yep... I can certainly see that what you suggest would be nice.  Might want to throw that one into 'Suggestions'

33 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

• G-1
  • G-2
  • G-3
  • A-1
  • A-2
  • A-3
  • A-4
  • S-1
  • S-2
  • S-3

This scheme would simply pass the Label formatting from the Template to each successive page.  It would also be nice if the Layout Page Table would optionally leave a space at each new template location.

I would post this as a Suggestion but since it might not be what everyone would want, I don't want to do that yet.  There would probably need to be an over-ride capability if the Label format was specified for any page rather than it being left blank.

Although for me personally I could see this being helpful many others have other formats they do and I could see this being a restriction for others using it that way.  It really only takes a little bit of time to setup your layout template as I have done where it auto populates the # and copying and pasting Selecting all on the page and deleting is really only a few seconds.  Not sure if this would be something that should get thrown into the suggestions bin that may shove something more crucial such as Stairs or roof tool adjustments out...????  Just a thought.

21 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Although for me personally I could see this being helpful many others have other formats they do and I could see this being a restriction for others using it that way.  It really only takes a little bit of time to setup your layout template as I have done where it auto populates the # and copying and pasting Selecting all on the page and deleting is really only a few seconds.  Not sure if this would be something that should get thrown into the suggestions bin that may shove something more crucial such as Stairs or roof tool adjustments out...????  Just a thought.

I agree that not everyone would want this capability.  However, if the individual pages are specified as they are now it would be natural for them to over-ride my proposed schema.  Only if a page didn't include a Label Format would it take the format from the Template.

I think there are programmers at CA that concentrate on the "Model" while other programmers are concentrating on "Presentation", "Database" and "Organizational" issues.  Consequently, I'm not too concerned that this would interfere with "Stairs" or "Roof" Tools.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

• G-1
  • G-2
  • G-3
  • A-1
  • A-2
  • A-3
  • A-4
  • S-1
  • S-2
  • S-3

Can’t we already do this by having a template page for each group in our plan set?

4 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Can’t we already do this by having a template page for each group in our plan set?

The Template page doesn't assign the Label format (prefix and numbering) to the pages that use that template.  In addition, the position of the template in the browser doesn't have any effect on which template a particular page uses.  My proposal would be that these features be added as automatic - but only if the individual pages had nothing in the "Label" field.  IOW, current "Page Information" would over-ride the Template(s)

• Upvote 1