Icf Wall Details

Deef1999

• 3 years later...

The best joist hanger is the one that meets the specifications your plan calls for.  Simpson StrongTie products are the most popular around here although there are other brands.  There is also an embedded joist hanger available on the market that an associate of mine used to support some shed roof type trusses on his new ICF shop. 

Another method in use in my area are "joist pockets" ... a pocket manually created in the foam layer of the block that includes a short piece of PT lumber as a base for the joists to bear on (similar to what might be used for the end of a structural beam connected to an ICF wall). 

I suggest you use any CAD details available from the block manufacturer for your project.  If you can get them in a .dwg format, you can always import them into your own CAD detail and then modify them as required for your project.

I don't know of anyone who makes custom details for others.  I suggest you learn to do that yourself, then you get exactly what you want/need.

• Upvote 1

Here's a detail showing the McMillan "embedded" joist hangers.  This is what my associate used for the shed roof on the side of his new ICF shop.

McMillanJoistHanger.thumb.JPG.1bd554c54bf241d4c1ba26b3ca469074.JPGMcMillanJoistHanger2.thumb.JPG.21065b61b0fc63694de156b8c8c1074c.JPG

Assuming your floor loads don't exceed the capacity of these hangers, they appear to me to be a more positive way of hanging a floor system to the foundation walls as compared to typical "nail on" hangers.  The I-Joist pockets are even more positive as far as what they are bearing on ... literally on the concrete in the wall itself.