If My Door Default Heights Are 80" Why Does It Keep Putting Them In At 79 1/8"?

Fun2Learn

Go to solution Solved by Fun2Learn,

I am sure that there must be a logical explanation, but I can't figure out why any new doors I put in are being put in with a 79 1/8"  instead of the 80" default? My ceiling height is 8' so there is plenty of room. If I change them manually they do stay at the correct height. This is happening with both interior and exterior doors.

Thanks,

Phyllis

Are you taking into account that "height" means above rough floor in Chief?  

Lemme guess.  Your floor finish is two layers totaling 7/8".

Interesting question. I specify a 80" floor height and it comes in at 80". It does not seem to matter that my floor thickness to 1/2".

Gene, is there something here that I should be aware of? Gene, are you implying the height is dependent on the finished floor thickness?

No, not at all, Scott.  I think Phyllis may have measured her door opening height in a section view from finished floor to door frame and gotten her 7/8" shy number.

That is what I get if I examine a door of 80" spec height set in a wall with the rooms having 1/8" underlay and 3/4" flooring as the finish.

Thanks, everyone. That is an interesting observation, Gene, as the floor finish default IS set to 7/8", however I am not talking about measurements that I took.  The door label in plan shows as, for example, "3067", instead of the typical "3068". So, when I noticed that, I opened the door dialog and, sure enough, it lists the height as 79 1/8"! I have already changed them manually 80" high doors. Do you think that there is a setting somewhere that has them being  set down on the top of the sub-floor, but showing the height  above  the floor finish? Before this started happening,  I did import a symbol for a door with sidelights that someone had posted under the "symbols" forum, but that imported symbol shows up as 6'8. It was after that that I started putting in the other doors and noticed that they were the "funny" height. Could the imported symbol have done anything to make the doors perhaps set down on the sub-floor?  (If you want to check it out, scroll down this thread and see the door file that Larry S. shared (it had the kind of sidelights I needed!)  https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1817-exterior-door/?hl=%2Bdoor+%2Bwith+%2Bsidelights#entry13944

I am not sure how to send my whole plan to the forum yet. I will check into it, and get back later and try it (gotta run right now. )

Thanks,

Phyllis

• Solution

I think I figured out what was going on. Even though the ceilings were all set to 96", it was actually much lower over the part of the first  floor where all the doors were! What had happened was that somehow Chief drew some of my manually drawn 18" deep floor trusses below a set of  automatically placed standard floor joists (supporting the second floor!) I didn't realize what had happened until I drew a section! I'm not sure how I messed up the framing like that, but I deleted all the framing and will tackle it again later. Now the doors are being drawn to the correct height. The Door Mystery is solved! 

Thanks for those who gave it some thought!

Phyllis