Undo and Redo

CoolHandLuke

Are you seeing a progress dialog? Undo / Redo should be faster than that. Progress dialogs should only pop after 3 seconds. 

If this is what you are seeing you might want to check the performance of your hard drive - especially where the undo folder is set. (You can find that in preferences) 

If you can put undo on a fast drive, like an ssd drive. 

I'd noticed a lag and box saying "reading file" -Checked the location, I have both an SSD and a standard. Turns out preferences points to it on "C" (the SSD) but that is a link to the standard. So I created a folder on C and pointed to that. I can still see the box but it is now too fast for me to read.

Are you seeing a progress dialog? Undo / Redo should be faster than that. Progress dialogs should only pop after 3 seconds. 

If this is what you are seeing you might want to check the performance of your hard drive - especially where the undo folder is set. (You can find that in preferences) 

If you can put undo on a fast drive, like an ssd drive.

I also get a pop up dialogue every single time I hit undo...it is fast, but annoying to see it at all...i'm set up on an ssd drive as well....definately showing up before 3 seconds...would love to see that go away.

My undo and redo go rather quickly but I do not have it in X5 or any other previous versions.

I can live with it for now.

But something did change and I do not think my hard drive slowed down by a factor of 3 seconds.

Thanks for the responses...

I also get a pop up dialogue every single time I hit undo...it is fast, but annoying to see it at all...i'm set up on an ssd drive as well....definately showing up before 3 seconds...would love to see that go away.

Ditto Ben!.  My new computer is well above the requirements to run CA (see my signature for specs) My sole hard drive is a 500 Gb SSD, and undo/redo is still painfully slow on large files, 4 to 5 seconds...With undo set in preferences I also still see and unacceptable lag time when doing anything...  How much power do I need!... I just turn off 'undo' working with large files and move along, saving them at key points.  

I think the main difference is that the progress dialog is coming up now when it wasn't in X5. The reason it wasn't coming up in X5 was to prevent crashes, although I think we did find an obscure crash due to having the progress dialog on Mac with Undo.

I think the main difference is that the progress dialog is coming up now when it wasn't in X5. The reason it wasn't coming up in X5 was to prevent crashes, although I think we did find an obscure crash due to having the progress dialog on Mac with Undo.

Can we get rid of it...I really don't want to see it every time I hit undo...i guess my brain is programmed that way since that is how every software I work with operates...no dialog when hitting undo...perhaps having it show up after 3 seconds like previously mentioned would be fine....just so we know it is still thinking and not crashing.

I would be fine making the timeout for the undo progress a little longer, but for something that takes longer than about 5-10 seconds people will quickly assume the program has hung. Having a progress dialog is reassuring in those situations and tends to make the time seem to pass quicker.

... but for something that takes longer than about 5-10 seconds people will quickly assume the program has hung. Having a progress dialog is reassuring in those situations and tends to make the time seem to pass quicker.

Agreed...for longer then a few second delay a dialog is helpful....quick/short delays (if we want to call them delays), a dialog is not necessary.