Updating Layout Sets

4hotshoez

I have been sending interior elevations to Layout, then I make changes. How do I make the layout update to match my changes without deleting and creating new, which is what I have been doing so far until I have time to dig into the training videos. Just doing quick stuff for a client.

Todd,

To update model changes in the elevations you need to "Save" the elevations while the Layout is open.  If your changes are just CAD (Text, Lines, Arcs, etc) they will be automatically reflected in the Layout without "Saving".  IOW, it's only actual changes to the model that need to have the elevations "Saved".

Todd,

To update model changes in the elevations you need to "Save" the elevations while the Layout is open.  If your changes are just CAD (Text, Lines, Arcs, etc) they will be automatically reflected in the Layout without "Saving".  IOW, it's only actual changes to the model that need to have the elevations "Saved".

This is confusing to me.  

If you change the plan and you want these changes reflected in layout,  open the layout view and the close it.  The changes in the plan will now be reflected in the plan.

This is one of the biggest time wasters to me.  I think these elevations in layout should auto update when the plan is edited without the need to open the layout window and then close the layout window.  No need to do this in REVIT,  I wish CA behaved the same way.

To update any elevation or section view, all you really need to do is open the view (by double clicking on it in layout) and then close it.  When you close it, the program will ask you if you want to update the layout.  Just say "yes".

As mentioned before, if all you have done is modify any cad, text, or dimensions, then you don't need to do this.

Also, if you have used the "edit layout" feature to modify any of the layout lines, you will lose them when you update the view.  I try to avoid ever using the edit layout feature for this reason.

I found the "Save Camera" and used it and save the project and have gone back and forth between plan, elevation and layout. Sometimes it updates and sometimes it does not. However, in one case the change was outside the polygon border in layout and needed to be expanded.

You don't really need to save the camera (unless you just created a new one).

"Also where is the best place to do some cad lines? on the layout or on the elevation view?"

Depends on what the lines are.  If you are drawing borders, title blocks, etc., on the layout page.  If you are drawing anything that is specific to the view, it should be drawn in the view.

• Upvote 1

Here is an example of doing all that I think I need to do to update layout but it is not working. I have saved the elevation, saved the plan, closed layout and saved layout, expanded the polygon border, not working.

post-2194-0-28601700-1412175840_thumb.png

post-2194-0-08794600-1412175860_thumb.png

Make any changes in the camera view, then you won't have to re-do it when you have to open the view again. the only thing I usually have to change is the foundations, sometimes you get errant lines so you might have to mask it with some earth fill.

Ok, now I am sort of getting it. I was getting tired of managing all the tabbed views at the top of my window, since I had all my views in Layout, I chose to close them and THEN Chief asked me to save them in Layout to match the changes I made. That is when the layout was updated. Saving the camera view did nothing for elevations. Again some things will update, but not all until I close. Now I understand the frustration Scott was expressing. What would it take for CA to rewrite the code to save us the step of closing and opening a view in order to update the layout? Seems this could be done dynamically as we work (complaining).

post-2194-0-90996000-1412179042_thumb.png

I can now update elevations, but I just made some changes to the plan with a layer setting and it will not update. How do I make it change? This should not be so difficult. It has eaten up most of a day for something that should be spelled out or easy. I am frustrated. Too complicated. Because I was deleting views and remaking them, I have a huge list of Layer Sets that are automatically generated for every view I sent to Layout.

Perry, I have never checked this either, but it was checked by some little check gnome to drive me crazy. I am up to Layer Set 27, before knowing what was going on. Is there a way to purge the sets not being used?

I have encountered this when working on plans for others

from the layout I would click the yellow camera icon

which takes you back to the plan

then I would copy and rename the layerset 27 etc to layerset that I wanted

then delete layerset 27

this way I wouldn't lose any of the clients work

but not have a zillion layersets with names that didn't mean anything

Lew