Nudging & Set Snap Grid Distance ?

ACADuser

OK I can't believe there is not a hot key or button to click to set the jump distance (snap unit).

errrr,  I think there is....  I think the multiple copy might work,  and I think there is something else that I do not use.........  but a hot key.....  you might be right on that.....  nuts......  you are probably thinking of an ACAD tool......  CA does not have what you are looking for.......  I think thE multiple copy key is as close as you are going to get......  you know if Doug Park was not on his cross country bike ride,  he would be all over this request.......  hey Doug,  when are you getting back?

Chief has these settings in Defaults->Plan

You can set them up as a part of your Default Plan (or for any individual Plan) but otherwise the only Hot_Kkey and Tool Button Controls are to Toggle them on and off.  I think the assumption in Chief is that you would want such controls to be set to a standard.

Point to Point Move and/or Object Snap and/or Transform/Replicate are the ways to get around the Grid and Angle Snaps.

OK I can't believe there is not a hot key or button to click to set the jump distance (snap unit).

Let me rant just a bit,   you made a statement that is very unclear.  I think that if you really wanted to make a difference,  you would explain how you would use this tool.  As I think about your request,  there are many different methods/applications you could be referring to.  I am confused as to what and how you would use this tool.  The muckity mucks at CA are constantly requesting that we be  clear on what we are trying to do.  I think if we were clearer on our desires, they will probably attempt to figureatededed out what you want.

You would be doing us all a huge favor if you  were more explicit in your desires.  I bet that whatever you want,  we can all use.

Chief has these settings in Defaults->Plan

You can set them up as a part of your Default Plan (or for any individual Plan) but otherwise the only Hot_Kkey and Tool Button Controls are to Toggle them on and off.  I think the assumption in Chief is that you would want such controls to be set to a standard.

Point to Point Move and/or Object Snap and/or Transform/Replicate are the ways to get around the Grid and Angle Snaps.

Thanks JC,  you made my point,  I do not think he is referring to what you are referring to.  He must be clearer on how he would use it.

Sent you an email a minute ago.....  you up for golf this Thursday at the RBI at 12:30?

Defaults->Plan

Yeah,  that is one method,  but I have to say,  I have never used that method,  it seems like there are faster and more efficient ways of doing that.  I am not disparaging the method.....  just different and more efficient ways of doing the same thing......  

Let me rant just a bit,   you made a statement that is very unclear.  I think that if you really wanted to make a difference,  you would explain how you would use this tool.  As I think about your request,  there are many different methods/applications you could be referring to.  I am confused as to what and how you would use this tool.  The muckity mucks at CA are constantly requesting that we be  clear on what we are trying to do.  I think if we were clearer on our desires, they will probably attempt to figureatededed out what you want.

You would be doing us all a huge favor if you  were more explicit in your desires.  I bet that whatever you want,  we can all use.

Sorry for the ambiguity. :)

I like the Nudge using the arrow keys because it is a fast way to move objects when no specific distance is needed.

I discovered the method of TAB key during a drag to enter the distance to move. This is a help.

Back to nudge. Handy little bugger. But when working in larger spaces, like a 80x170 building I am doing I would like to change the jump distance to say 12 and back to 1 at times.

If I was in ACAD I would create two new buttons & assign a lisp or command line expression to the buttons to do just that. Or to even open a dialog box to as for the new jump value.

So I discover today that no user defined buttons, no macro language, no ruby support. Just sour grapes on my part. I spent 15 years with almost total control of the environment & now am in a straight jacket so to speak.

OK sorry I had a little rant of my own. :)

Any way so set the nudge short of jumping into the menu system?

Scott,

I think the request was for a way to change the Snap Distance.  My point basically is that generally you want a snap distance that works for your basic dimensional tolerance.  Chief gives you all sorts of ways to over-ride that.

1.  Transform/Replicate

2.  Multi-Copy

3.  Point to Point Move

4.  Object Snaps

5.  Edit Temp Dimensions

6.  Center Tool

7.  etc.

I have the Grid Snap Distance set according to the type of Plan I'm working on.  For Floor Plans in General I used to like 3" but I decided early on with Chief that 1" was more to my liking.  OTOH, when working on Details (I have a set of Chief Plan Files - Scale 1"=1'-0") that I have the Grid Snap set at 1/8".  Those Grid Snaps simply get me PDC which is all I need.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

The Transform Replicate is a good way to move one time. But I wanted to use the nudge.
This is what I use often. I get an object, say the Room label and want to adjust it to fit a re-sized room.
Not just center it but adjust it to avoid some objects & play with the LOOK of it on the sheet.
This is where the nudge is a great tool. All i wanted is a quick & efficient way to adjust the jump distance on the fly.

Any way so set the nudge short of jumping into the menu system?

No, the only way is to set in in the Defaults.

Almost anything in the Menu System that has an Icon can have a HotKey.  You can customize Toolbars and Hotkeys - but there are so many possibilities that it's almost impossible to remember a fraction of the HotKeys.

No, the only way is to set in in the Defaults.

Almost anything in the Menu System that has an Icon can have a HotKey.  You can customize Toolbars and Hotkeys - but there are so many possibilities that it's almost impossible to remember a fraction of the HotKeys.

Exactly, that is why I love my custom buttons. :(

Custom Buttons would be nice - but there are so many buttons available and so many ways to accomplish any task in Chief that it boggles the mind.  I and almost everyone here used ACAD in the past.  There's just such a big difference between Chief and ACAD that you have to change the way you work.

One thing you might want to look at would be a macro recorder.  You can record a sequence of keystrokes and mouse clicks and give it a Hotkey definition to replay it.  That might provide you with a way to initiate the commands that you want.  ie:  Change the Nudge Distance

Funny you bring up the macro recorder, I was researching them this afternoon for the Escape key.

Drives me nuts, Just want it to return me to the Select mode. I hate using the space bar.

I must continue using ACAD for some clients & the key strokes are messing with my head, doesn't take much. :)

If you want Esc to return you to Selection mode, why don't you change it to do that.

OOB Esc is mapped to Cancel Selection/Previous Command - but that can be changed. 

So if you wanted to retain that command (Cancel Selection), you would need to assign that to another hotkey.

It may be just me, but I think I would prefer to keep Esc as Cancel Selection.

Oh thank you Glen.

After several failed attempts I was able to assign the ESCape key to select.

Seems that escape closes the dialog box, but if you enter some keys you can backspace & the press the escape key & it took.

My life is sooo much better today. :)

I commiserate with the OP on the difficulty of coming to grips with a move from ACAD to CA. There are a lot of settings in CA that are very useful, but are buried deep within defaults or preferences and many layers of dbxs. One of the strengths of ACAD is that you have instant access to these variable settings through a command line interface, or through AutoLisp.

I think what is really missing from the grid snap / distance function is the ability to discretely set (through clicking on the screen or direct coordinate entry) the origin for the grid/coordinate system. This request has been mentioned several times before, both in this forum and the Suggestion forum.

I would like a "Lock Layer Button" in CA while we are wishing

Chief can lock layers already

the user can't make changes to locked layers

however, when you do actions chief may find a need to change

something on a locked layer

it would be nice if chief would pop a warning - "should I proceed"

Lew