Sill Plate Alignment

BlackDiamond

I am using CA x6 and need to know how to change the alignment of sill plates when they are 'Built'

I have 3-1/2" sill plates that are being placed 1" in from the outside of the foundation wall. I believe they are centering under the 5-1/2" walls above but we have a framed floor between. I'm tired of having to move them all out the 1" and would love to know how to have them automatically align with the outside face of the fnd. wall when 'built'.

Thanks

it sounds like your main layer on the 2x4 walls is set to the siding/stucco (outer layer) of those walls instead of to the Framing which would align it to the foundation wall. 

if that's not it you could post the .Plan file so someone could look at it for you.

M.

Thanks for responding. My main level walls are 2x6 not 2x4 but my sill plate is 2x4 because I am laying a floor over the sill and under the main level walls. However, it appears to be trying to center the sill plates under the 2x6 walls above. My walls ext. frame surface lines up with the outside of the stem wall so that part is fine. I've attached a simple sample file.

Thanks

Sill Plate Plan.plan

Thanks for responding. My main level walls are 2x6 not 2x4 but my sill plate is 2x4 because I am laying a floor over the sill and under the main level walls. However, it appears to be trying to center the sill plates under the 2x6 walls above. My walls ext. frame surface lines up with the outside of the stem wall so that part is fine. I've attached a simple sample file.

Thanks

Very interesting.  I never noticed this behavior before.  

If the sill plate is wider than the stem wall,  it wants to center itself.....  I guess this is okay,  when will you ever have a sill plate that is wider than the stem wall.

If the sill plate is narrower than the wall above,  the sill plate wants to center under wall.....  I am not sure if this is good.

If the sill plate is at least the width of the wall above,  and no wider than the stem wall,  it behaves correctly and aligns itself with the exterior of the stem wall......  this is good.

If the wall above is wider than the stem wall......  all bets are off.....  This is a real shame.....  because this occurrence does happen.....

To sum it up,  best to keep the sill plate the width of stem wall,  if you want ......  blah blah blah......  too many variables......  it seems like you should be able to specify any width sill plate you want and have it allgn with the exterior face of stem wall......  but it ain't  happening.

Now I see the issue , and the fact you posted a sample plan clued me in , when you built the foundation you didn't set the Sill Plate width in the Foundation DBX to 7 1/2" so it defaulted to 3 1/2"

your default settings

post-315-0-55691400-1411157527_thumb.jpg

change 3 1/2 to 7 1/2 to get this

post-315-0-51698100-1411157546_thumb.jpg

Ahhhh.....  Treated 2x6 is most commonly used ......  and hopefully wont break the budget....   

but I think you have found a bug as 2x4 aligns with the joist end not the rim joist while the 2x6 and 2x8 align with the Rim Joist as expected.

2x4

post-315-0-84486500-1411158779_thumb.jpg

2x6

post-315-0-98637200-1411159059_thumb.jpg

2x8

post-315-0-49363400-1411159082_thumb.jpg

Mick

Using a 2x4 treated sill plate is also common in my area as well. Using a 2x4 plate allow us to place brick on a 8" foundation wall and not have to create some kind of brick ledge. This is actually common in a lot of areas and Chief Architect needs to fix this.

I think a 2x4 would meet code as you only need 1 3/4" landing I think so with an LVL Rim or even full dim. lumber you would get that.

but the 2x4 placement by CA is still a bug as its not under the Rim ,  the brick ledge issue raised above is something else there'd need to fix and allow for framing not coming to the exterior line of the foundation.

M.

Who is doing the engineering on this job? :)
Max pressure on the 2x sill plate using PT is around 425 PSI should work if placed under the rim board but will not work if under the joist only. Too much pressure on the plate.
Here in Florida the sill plate is often eliminated & a galvanized strip is used to isolate the joist from the CMU wall.
Even TJI & Web trusses are installed that way. Use a Simpson strap for each joist to attach to the wall. Use a rim board held just off the CMU or use a PT rim board.
If you use PT joist no isolation is needed.

None of this addresses the problem though. Just show 2x6 & call it out as 2x4.

There are too many ways for this to be done for Chief to anticipate all the different possibilities.

Here's what I would do:

1.  Make the Sill Plate the same width as the Wall Studs.

2.  Provide Details of the way I really want it built.

3.  Edit the Sections if necessary

FWIW, For Condos and Apartments where there's a LW Concrete fill over the Plywd Floor Sheathing I use a "Screed Sill" 2" wider than the Sill Plate.  It's a custom detail and it also provides a nailer for carpet tack strips.

Well, the bug centers it, but at least it is sized right.  It is a simple editing job to place it where it belongs, and edit lengths, so all looks perfect.  Pic shown with edit that placed the sill to align with the wall framing line.

One CAD detail drawn and saved, and you're done with it, if you want to leave the Chief 3D model as-is, with the not-quite-right placement.

Some questions for you.  

Other than you, who does it bother that the section view, framing shown, has the mudsill misplaced?  

Are you producing only construction docs for your clients, or are you handing off the Chief files as well?

post-55-0-85218500-1411411770_thumb.png