Duralight Backlight In Ca

mealexmail

Dear all,

how you make naturally looking duralight in CA? i tried to found similar topic but couldn't 

I understand that i can make a rod or 3d molding along a spline and assign emission to its material. But as I understand it will not emit any light actually but just will not receive any shadows in raytrace keeping looking like its glowing. 

Is there a way to make a spline-based duralight-like cord that really emits light along its surface?

post-1906-0-24724300-1410549877_thumb.jpg

Our problem is that Chief does not have a linear light.  Only points and spots, plus of course the "general" types, neither of which will do.

But since most "lineal" lighting used for coves like you show are in fact, strips of point lights closely spaced, you will get close if you try that.  Use very low wattage for each point.  

Try making a light symbol, the light being a simple tube, maybe 1/8" diameter.  Make its material clear glass, totally transparent.  In the light symbol dbx, add a whole lot of point lights along its axis at 3 inch spacing.  Set each to not cast shadow.  Bury the light up in your cove feature.

Show us your results.

Sure,  add a light source (or several spaced along the spline)

Nooo .. this is not the solution because of following:

a) if i need to make a cord 5 meters long with naturally looking smooth glowing i'd place about 300-500 small light sources. I can not even imagine how long will it take to render the scene =)) 

B) it is such pain to place it right behind surfaces supposed to glow .. yes, I can distribute along spline even 1000 objects but see p. a)

is there any other solution?

Our problem is that Chief does not have a linear light.  Only points and spots, plus of course the "general" types, neither of which will do.

But since most "lineal" lighting used for coves like you show are in fact, strips of point lights closely spaced, you will get close if you try that.  Use very low wattage for each point.  

Try making a light symbol, the light being a simple tube, maybe 1/8" diameter.  Make its material clear glass, totally transparent.  In the light symbol dbx, add a whole lot of point lights along its axis at 3 inch spacing.  Set each to not cast shadow.  Bury the light up in your cove feature.

Show us your results.

GeneDavis, of course i tried doing that - see my previous answer. In case of long contours I get a lot of light sources that 

a) makes rendering incredibly slow (cause raytracing computes each ray of each source)

B) sources behave like sources - stick to walls, ceilings etc depending on how you set it up .. often i found that part of a row just jumped off somewhere 

Not sure if this will help or not but I always turn off all lite fixtures and use light sources, you can put them anywhere you want, and they don't show in the electrical, or any other plan, if you turn them off. You can put 8 in every room, if you want. You can adjust them just like fixtures.

• 1 month later...

It would be nice to draw a cad line and convert it to a light. Like a rope light. It would work great for tray ceilings! 

Could we do that in a blank plan - perhaps a molding polyline - and then creat a light symbol with it?  Then it would have light properties as a symbol.