Bill Layman's Plain Text Leader Line Tip.....

dshall

......  geez,  am I a dunderhead,  thanks to   Bill Layman,  I learned something today........

<<...>>

Scott

In case your interested, at the Anno conf call several weeks ago it was brought to my attention that
 “
Rich Text
 does not operate the same as Text
 and I lose the ability to make global changes

I
 use
d
 Rich Text because
 I could
 get the leader and text with
 one click

However
 with the
 info from your confr I started looking and finally found how to change
 (see attached)
 from
 rich text to regular text.

I
ll be using Text instead of Rich Text forward.

Have a great day.

Bill
<Text Leader.png>

Not sure if the JPEG shows,  but if you go to PREFERENCES<APPEARANCE<TEXT and uncheck CREATE RICH TEXT,  from now on your text with the auto leader lines will be plain text which means the text can now be controlled via the layers.  Rich Text cannot be controlled by layers.

If you were to ask me,  I think the OOB should be defaulted to using PLAIN TEXT vs RICH TEXT.

Nice job Bill Layman,  thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

You can put rich text on any layer and even have the text change color with the layer color.  What you can't do with rich text is control the text using "text styles" like you can with regular text.  What you can't do with regular text is have one piece of text that uses different fonts, colors, or sizes.

What you can't do with regular text is have one piece of text that uses different fonts, colors, or sizes.

That's exactly why I like Rich Text for Custom Room Labels and similar data display.  Basically I can format a "Mini-Page" in a single Rich Text Block.

OTOH, Standard Text using Text Styles is perfect for general notation.  I like all such thing to be uniform throughout my ConDocs.

You can put rich text on any layer and even have the text change color with the layer color.  What you can't do with rich text is control the text using "text styles" like you can with regular text.  What you can't do with regular text is have one piece of text that uses different fonts, colors, or sizes.

Thanks for the info.