use of older program series

wolfrem68

I have an older version of Chief Architect # 7.0. I used it when I was in construction in New Mexico. When I purchased the program I unfortunately asked for the version with the password instead of the dongle. My questions are # 1- is there any way to get an access into the program. I still have the serial number, CD key, user code and pass word from way back. Any suggestions?

Question # 2 - I have a 36 inch HP 650 color plotter that was used with a desk top and has the 21 pin cable. Anyway to connect my laptop to the plotter now?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

10 minutes ago, wolfrem68 said:

I have an older version of Chief Architect # 7.0. I used it when I was in construction in New Mexico. When I purchased the program I unfortunately asked for the version with the password instead of the dongle. My questions are # 1- is there any way to get an access into the program. I still have the serial number, CD key, user code and pass word from way back. Any suggestions?

Question # 2 - I have a 36 inch HP 650 color plotter that was used with a desk top and has the 21 pin cable. Anyway to connect my laptop to the plotter now?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

If you have the PW etc what is the Issue ?  some of the Older Versions my not run on Win10 , for one that old you may need XP or Perhaps Win7?

Do you mean a 25pin DB25 Printer Cable perhaps?  there are USB to DB25 Converter Cables available eg :

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200160

In terms of Version 7 .pl files, what Tommy said is true, Home Designer Pro cannot open such antique files. Specifically, you would have to share your plans with a person who has Chief Architect Premier X8 (which can open and convert old .pl files to .plan files which can then be marked "Allow editing in Home Designer Projects". Like it or not, the rules are the rules with digital files and conventions.

DJP

I upgraded to X10 earlier this year from X6.  The X6 version ran perfectly smooth on my Windows 7 machine.  I expected Chief to remove access when I upgraded, but in the conversation with Chief, they said they would let me retain access to the license in the digital locker.  It doesn't really mean much as most of my files have been saved to X10 now, but I don't think you'll have any issue with using it again.  Just try to find your old install disc.

38 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

He says he's using a Laptop Rod , so he'd need a USB to Parallel Port Cable type Adaptor instead , as above in post #4.

I would suggest some research on Google with the Plotter Model No# though and make sure to find a Compatible one, though I have had good luck with Startech products and Support.

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

He says he's using a Laptop Rod , so he'd need a USB to Parallel Port Cable type Adaptor instead , as above in post #4.

I would suggest some research on Google with the Plotter Model No# though and make sure to find a Compatible one, though I have had good luck with Startech products and Support.

Key words in my post are "you might search something like this."  IOW, google is your friend.

Also, you can get pcie ribbon cables for an external hookup.