plan goes slow because of imported objects?

Lighthouse

Some of my plans in X9 are super slow both in 3d views and cad details.  (I have a fast video card and 24gb RAM). 

CA suggested that my third party models may have too many surfaces, which makes sense.  2 questions:

1) once an object (e.g. a chair) is in a model, is there any way to know how many surfaces it has? In a 3d view I see a surface count at the bottom of the screen, but that seems to refer to the entire view, not the selected object.  I guess I could take each object and stick it in a blank plan, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way?

2) I'm surprised that multi surface models would be slow once they are in a 2d cad detail, but they sure seem to be.  Is it because CA is drawing many overlapping lines, which aren't actually visible in 2d?

thx

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

1) once an object (e.g. a chair) is in a model, is there any way to know how many surfaces it has? In a 3d view I see a surface count at the bottom of the screen, but that seems to refer to the entire view, not the selected object.  I guess I could take each object and stick it in a blank plan, but I'm wondering if there is an easier way?

Open the symbol from the library and in the 3D tab of Symbol Specifications > Faces, It will give you the face count.  This can sometimes depending on the object be adjusted by the Smoothing Angle during creation or recreation.

When tracking down what makes up the overall surface count I also find using a 3D view and using the total surface shown in the middle of the status bar useful.  I then toggle various layers on and off to narrow down troublesome symbols before checking symbol by symbol.   

I am now more careful when importing symbols but I originally imported a lot of symbols for European fittings and fixtures and its easy for the surface counts to add up.

• Upvote 1

A lot of stuff on 3D Warehouse has large face/polygon counts , which is something I always check before downloading, especially if there are alot of curves or rounded objects or parts of objects , which CA doesn't like , eg an Oval Kohler sink vs a rectangular one , nowadays we have a Chief Kohler Library though which is better.