Beam-wrap moldings in sloped ceilings - what's easy way?

GeneDavis

I've got cathedral ceiling and the 2x8 rafters hang from hips and valleys that are paired 2x10s.  With the hip and valley members protruding through the ceiling finish, I want to wrap them in painted 3/4" boards.

Molding polylines work readily when the beams are horizontal, but what about this condition? 

2018-02-10_1257.png

It's your hips and valleys which Chief calls ridges unfortunately , just reduce the size to what the rafters are and they won't show. This error in programming has been around forever. or thicken your rafters to fit. we really need separate controls for each

sorry I thought you wanted them to not show for some reason

3 minutes ago, solver said:

I copied in pace the rafter, then increased its height by 3/4" and its width by 3". Gave it a color so you could see.

ct1.thumb.jpg.a82e0bc6eed9fd2c3f595e661c528cd5.jpg

Nice Solution E.  if you want the decorative beam look rather than Drywall like P. mentioned....

M.

Thanks, E.  I had just done 3D molding polylines, using CAD in close-cropped sections to estimate heights needed at start and finish.  Yours is better because tracking is precise.

EXCEPT!  I would like to get a clean line showing in 3D where the ceiling finish is intersected by the molding.  

Here's what I found when trying to work with the 3D molding.  One can set it with specification, but one cannot then use a move tool to tweak its height in 3D space.

Thanks, E.  I had just done 3D molding polylines, using CAD in close-cropped sections to estimate heights needed at start and finish.  Yours is better because tracking is precise.

EXCEPT!  I would like to get a clean line showing in 3D where the ceiling finish is intersected by the molding.

And I can fix that by incrementally moving the molding down until a line shows

Cut a section perpendicular to your hip and very close to hip and then you can apply a moulding line(use cad line and make parallel to roof plane). you can centre it in plan view then. only thing you have to do then is vertical(-3/4") and horizontal(-2 1/4") offsets.

Untitled 3.jpg