mbniagara

Numbering Layout Pages in Sequence

Hi,

This is my first post.

I am considering numbering all of the sheets in my printed layout sequentially even if I am using multiple layout template pages. So for example. my sheets would be numbered A-1,A-2, M-3, M-4, T-5 instead of A-1, A-2, M-1, M-2, T-1.

I would want my layout page table to match my sheet numbers and show the same way in the Project Browser.

Is their a macro, setting, or work-around to be able to achieve this?

Thanks

Just Edit the Page Information "Label Field" as follows:

• A-%page%, A-%page, M-%page%, M-%page%, T-%page%,,,,,,,, etc.

Normally, it would be:

• A-#, A-#, M-#, M-#, T-#,,,,,,,etc.

Joe has offered you what you wanted to know. I might be so bold as to offer you what you might not have wanted to know. That sounds like a really bad (confusing) idea.

Or you can use CA support for multiple templates in a layout file.

Create A-template, M-template, and T template. After page is created assign appropriate template.

1 hour ago, Gawdzira said:

Joe has offered you what you wanted to know. I might be so bold as to offer you what you might not have wanted to know. That sounds like a really bad (confusing) idea.

I absolutely agree - but he did ask for it.:D

Joe has given you the best answer I know of.

For those who don't know this - mbniagra is describing something very close to the traditional way Architect's number drawings.  At least it was when I came up through the ranks - used at many different offices.  It may even be in some AIA standard somewhere.  "A" sheets are architectural.  "M" sheets are mechanical.  "S" are structural, and so on.

And I used to use a system where I took it a step further.  My front spec sheets were always A.1.something, floor plans A.2.something.  My elevations were A.3.1, A.3.2, etc.  

The reason this is not some very bad idea , is that it takes a big bite out of any renumbering & re-keying woes.  If you find late in the game that you have to add a detail sheet, you don't have to renumber your structural sheets, and chase down all the reference keys.

So - my two cents is that the only thing ever truly confusing is if the keys are wrong.  You put a page list on the first page and key correctly - done and dusted.

Just my two cents!

Actually, that is what he is not asking for. That is why I chimed in (buttinskied in). What he was asking to do was A1, A2 M3...

To follow up on Wendy's contribution - yes, that page naming convention is an industry standard of sorts.

(Our local jurisdiction requires pages be labeled in this fashion.)

Architectural pages are labeled as follows:

A0.0# for plan notes and general

A1.0# for plan views

A2.0# for elevations 

A3.0# first sections

So on

Mechanical M0.0#

Structural S0.0#

Etc....

Not at computer to delve deeper but I am sure a quick search will offer the full list and description.

2 hours ago, RL-inc said:

To follow up on Wendy's contribution - yes, that page naming convention is an industry standard of sorts.

(Our local jurisdiction requires pages be labeled in this fashion.)

Architectural pages are labeled as follows:

A0.0# for plan notes and general

A1.0# for plan views

A2.0# for elevations 

A3.0# first sections

So on

Mechanical M0.0#

Structural S0.0#

Etc....

Not at computer to delve deeper but I am sure a quick search will offer the full list and description.

One of the many cities I deal with tried to tell me how to number my pages, I told them I will number them any way I want or go over their head to the city manager , they backed off. This was a new employee that didn't know any better.

Don't get me started on training new building department employees .:blink:

Our plan review department has gone to an eplans system and requires that all pages be named in this way.

It was a bit of a PITA in the beginning but has worked out ok.

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

One of the many cities I deal with tried to tell me how to number my pages, I told them I will number them any way I want or go over their head to the city manager , they backed off. This was a new employee that didn't know any better.

Guess you really showed that new employee something.

yep, the plan checker was stating a preference rather than a code. or something that's required, they really should have known already.