Not sure how to fix this roof section.

ladycoralie

Hi Guys. I have this weird section on my roof that snakes between a couple of gables. I'm not really sure what to do with it. I've tried using one roof plane and editing it to fit all the corners, but it doesn't seem to work, so I have tried to join a couple of flat ones, but that still isn't working properly. does anyone have any ideas about what to do in a situation like this?

thanks.

Mountain Starx8.plan

Mountain Star roof.jpg

A bit of tweaking and an auto roof build will get you out of a LOT of trouble.

This one took 1 minute to do.

A little more time could give you want you want and avoid all those roof problems you have at present.

New Image_223.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glennw said:

A bit of tweaking and an auto roof build will get you out of a LOT of trouble.

This one took 1 minute to do.

A little more time could give you want you want and avoid all those roof problems you have at present.

New Image_223.jpg

I always have problems with the auto roof tool. I often check retain manual roofs but they still disappear. I must be doing something wrong. Can you explain how you used the auto roof tool in this instance please? thanks.

12 hours ago, ladycoralie said:

That looks good too. I should have thought of that one. Thanks.

No, you should NOT have thought of this one. Unlike Glenn's, It has roofs draining into walls which will need a bunch of crickets to deal with, and the framing will get very expensive, in addition to not looking good. You may want to consider whether this overall design direction of many little gables on a large house is serving you well. 

• Upvote 1

On 05/08/2017 at 2:47 AM, Richard_Morrison said:

No, you should NOT have thought of this one. Unlike Glenn's, It has roofs draining into walls which will need a bunch of crickets to deal with, and the framing will get very expensive, in addition to not looking good. You may want to consider whether this overall design direction of many little gables on a large house is serving you well. 

Thanks Richard. I will try and copy Glenn's design. I didn't understand about the crickets and looked them up because I didn't know what they were. I will have a go at the auto roof tool again, but I'm real worried that a lot of my work will disappear. Thanks for the advice.

6 hours ago, solver said:

How about a hip roof?

ct1.thumb.jpg.240d43fbdc2056bc2231e8e163601674.jpg

Or

ct2.thumb.jpg.4cfe24a4f16cf248b9a463b50c0dcffc.jpgct1.thumb.jpg.30ef89112ccca2de19e41eeae5f05dc4.jpg

I really like this style Solver, but I can't figure out how you did the porch and the right hand side with the stepped down roof. (I'm not sure what to call it) If you have the plan, would you mind posting it for me so I can see how it's done please? Thanks.

Around here hip roofs cost so much more than gable roofs b/c of the beams needed to hold up the hips and if its a second floor, beams in the floor system for bearing on the posts needed to hold up the hips, with a floor pad for the posts.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Around here hip roofs cost so much more than gable roofs b/c of the beams needed to hold up the hips and if its a second floor, beams in the floor system for bearing on the posts needed to hold up the hips, with a floor pad for the posts.

Are you using manufactured trusses?  There is a step-down method to designing a truss layout that is very efficient, and its very rare I would ever design a beam into the roof structure unless I was transitioning ceiling heights.

• Upvote 1

On 06/08/2017 at 11:59 PM, solver said:

I'm working in X9, will the plan help?

You can get close setting the appropriate walls to Full Gable and auto building the roof. 

I set the pitch to 17 degrees.

ct1.thumb.jpg.83633211d7b037bc52dc18a5cbf7b64e.jpg

Manually edited the auto ceiling planes to straighten the ridges.

ct2.thumb.jpg.263b954c7d30b2686e1a24d2588c1156.jpg

Might do it this way.

ct3.thumb.jpg.ef42e99ddc87d02abd7f59a3ad58f465.jpg

The porch I extended the right side out to the corner of the house. The center part that's raised -- make that section its own room and raise the ceiling height.

Hello Chopsaw. I've tried to copy without much success. I have x9 if you wish to post the plan for me. Thanks. :)