Moving Library File Location

amddrafting

Is it possible to move the library files to another location and reference them from there?  It seems that every time I try to move them there is not way to point the program to reference the new location of the library files.  I use a SSD drive for my OS and a separate SSD for my program installation.  This keeps my OS running really fast.  However my OS drive is only 120GB  and the libraries are 12GB and takes up a lot of space on my OS drive and I want to keep them on my program SSD with the CA installation but it keeps wanting to put them in the folder "Windows 10/Program Data/Chief Architect Premier X9" on my OS drive.

I'm assuming I'm probably stuck with it this way, but I was just curious if it's possible.

I can't seem to figure this out... any step by step help would be appreciated.  My libraries still go to the OS drive no matter what I do and I don't see any way in preferences to map the library location.  It shows where it is but you can't do anything with it.

Just leave CA X9 the way it is and then use Windows' Ability to move your Library Locations off C:\ to a separate Harddrive . I have a had a small OS SSD for years like you and have moved these folders to D:\ and E:\ Drives since Win7 to free up space on C:\ , (on my Surface 3 (64gb), I've moved some to a 64GB SD Card for the same reason.)  : 

Documents              (Contains some CA Data)

Pictures

Videos

Music
Desktop

I also install these to other Drives

OneDrive

GoogleDrive

*** I don't recommend moving your Main User folder ..it can cause weird issues and problems with Upgrades.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-move-windows-7-personal-folders-my-documents-another-drive.htm

or

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or-partition.html

Perry is talking about here , as you can see some of my library is on d: after I moved the Docs folder in Win10. .... but moving my PICS and Docs Libraries saved me alot of space too. My guess is some Folders shouldn't be moved so that CA can autoupdate it core libraries etc , I don't play with it either ..same as Perry.

Capture.JPG

You are playing with FIRE if you move your user library to a location separate from Chief's default location for this folder.  

Don't do it!

I've done it in the past and have had limited success but inevitably things will get very weird.   It's a Pandora's box I wish I had never opened. 

Months later, and even after reverting to original file/folder structure I still get the odd error message of "can't open plan file or find material" etc...

We have to wait until Chief offers an online storage solution like, oh...., every other program of this sort on the planet. 

I keep about 3 versions of Chief on my hard drive in total, after I get a forth version, I delete the oldest version and put the entire Chief data folder to the backup drive for future use if needed. mainly the jobs file .The data file contains a lot of stuff like macro's, images, templates, textures. etc. you want to keep if needed. That's another reason you want to put any macros in the scrip's folder. Use those folders to put your custom stuff in or create your own folders to put stuff in.