mydog8it

Buying a new computer

Is anyone running CA on one of the 7th gen i7 Asus ROG laptops? How's it working?

I'm considering either the G series or the GL series. My biggest concern is overheating, and I'm not sure which would be a better option. I have an older G series now, and from time to time I have to put an ice pack under it when I'm raytracing. I'm hoping one of the newer models will have a better cooling system.

I bought a G75 ROG at Best Buy last year to be my second computer. My old desktop (specs listed below) runs faster than the newer laptop but as a second PC it is fine. If it were my only PC I would NOT be happy as it is just adequate, if I only used a laptop for all my work I would want something a lot faster.

DJP

13 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I bought a G75 ROG at Best Buy last year to be my second computer. My old desktop (specs listed below) runs faster than the newer laptop but as a second PC it is fine. If it were my only PC I would NOT be happy as it is just adequate, if I only used a laptop for all my work I would want something a lot faster.

DJP

That's interesting. I think mine is a G72 and I've been pretty happy with it, but I've upgraded the RAM & video card and added a big SSD.

Any problems with your G75 overheating?

7 hours ago, mydog8it said:

your G75 overheating?

No, it runs cool. The comparisons I made as to its performance are to my existing desktop and not other laptops.

DJP

I was going to get this one: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G752VS/  but I decided to try out this one at half the price: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL553VD/  with 32g ram.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, especially for the price. No overheating, no lag when viewing really big renderings, and overall pretty fast. I haven't raytraced yet though.  My biggest complaint so far is the case is a little cheap and plastic-y feeling... and I need to plug in a bigger monitor for doing actual work. 

2 hours ago, mydog8it said:

I was going to get this one: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-G752VS/  but I decided to try out this one at half the price: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL553VD/  with 32g ram.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, especially for the price. No overheating, no lag when viewing really big renderings, and overall pretty fast. I haven't raytraced yet though.  My biggest complaint so far is the case is a little cheap and plastic-y feeling... and I need to plug in a bigger monitor for doing actual work. 

I'm running a g752 and stays at proper temps during 4 hour full presto renders using 100%gfx and CPU together

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I'm running a g752 and stays at proper temps during 4 hour full presto renders using 100%gfx and CPU together

My old computer is the older version of that. I love it. The only upside to this smaller one is portability.

20 minutes ago, ajrare said:

You need a gaming computer, AlienWare

In my opinion, asus rog (republic of gamers) is the most reliable gaming computer brand out there. I'm not a fan of Dell (which is Alienware).

I have used Alienware for 15 years now , never had any problems but you do need a new one about every 5 years and sometimes you can last longer with changing out a few parts.

On 6/29/2017 at 5:31 PM, mydog8it said:

Consider a deck top for actual work.

I am happy with the one I recently purchased, see in signature

21 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have used Alienware for 15 years now , never had any problems but you do need a new one about every 5 years and sometimes you can last longer with changing out a few parts.

They weren't always owned by Dell. But 5 years is a pretty good life span for a computer. 

not that I needed to replace every 5 years, I just wanted faster parts.