View With Shadows Question

HumbleChief

I was just watching a video that Scott posted, thanks as always, and was noticing the shadow view he was using and the almost instantaneous view changes on a fairly complex model. I have a good, or even great, video card (Nvidia 780) but I get really sluggish view changes with shadows on with the simplest of 4 walled models.

Here's the video.

..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2uBDzg9Yiw&feature=youtu.be..    (weird had to add the periods before and after in order to sow the video link)

...and here's my setting in Preferences Render, system specs in sig.

Any help greatly appreciated.

post-302-0-00774100-1404142080_thumb.png

You could try playing with the hardware edge smoothing setting.  I think this affects some cards more then others.

If that doesn't help, you might want to checkout the settings on your card itself.  There should be some kind of advanced video card dialog that lets you play with it's settings.  Also, I've seen more then one person on this forum discover that they were not actually using their good video card because it was not setup correctly.

You could try playing with the hardware edge smoothing setting.  I think this affects some cards more then others.

If that doesn't help, you might want to checkout the settings on your card itself.  There should be some kind of advanced video card dialog that lets you play with it's settings.  Also, I've seen more then one person on this forum discover that they were not actually using their good video card because it was not setup correctly.

Thank KT, I'll explore when I get back to the office.

The project I have up is a fairly simple model but I have no issues viewing in Standard mode with shadows on. Very smooth movement. I have a GTX 660 card. Specs shown in images. I had my hardware edge smoothing setting at none this morning but I don't notice any slow down (with this model) with a better smoothing setting.

post-170-0-71446200-1404149311_thumb.jpg

post-170-0-38803900-1404149588_thumb.jpg

try turning the MSAA down to 2X and see if it helps

and have a look a couple pages back on the forum for the Nvidia settings Thread I started and Perry post pics of his Nvidia Control Panel setting for CA for me....  thx again P.

M.

edit:  found it....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/321-nvidia-driver-settings/?hl=%2Bnvidia+%2Bsettings

AWESOME! Followed all the advice and all the setting and threads and it works fantastic. I don't know which setting was the culprit as it seemed most of the setting were already set to default values. I'l try a couple of setting reverted and see what cause the major speed-up.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

I went back and tried to find the setting(s) that had the most effect and I couldn't get the shadow view to slow back down no matter which setting I changed. NOT complaining was just hoping I could find the culprit to help someone else out. Thanks again for the help everyone.