printing 2'x3' for printer layout sheet

simplylaura

Not quite sure what stage you are at with the project but you would need to create a new template for Arch D ( 24" x 36" ) or just go to page 0 and edit your existing layout title block to fit the new paper size. Then your drawings could quite easily be enlarged to 1/2" scale.

It appears that your "Drawing Sheet " and print software are properly set but the 2D CAD of your border and title block are too small (not upsized for a Arch D sheet). Also Check the scale of the drawing instance you sent to your layout using the "Scale" tool to verify that it is at the intended scale (1/4" = 1' Scale). you missed a Print Set Up setting that is causing the results to be off. Find your mistake by carefully reviewing your presettings and then try again. The print process is simple but totally unforgiving when you make mistakes.

DJP

It sounds to me like your scaling is the problem. Your drawing sheet set up should typically have a 1 to 1 scale.

The only reasons  I can personally think of for changing the print scale would be in order to print a larger layout onto a smaller sheet size or a smaller layout on to a larger sheet size.  You can always shrink or expand to fit  printable area  but that doesn't guarantee accurate scale.   Changing the print scale just gives you a way to accurately upsize or downsize a drawing for the purpose of printing at a different sheet size without losing scale accuracy. 

Michael: 

I think you meant the plan is at 1:1 scale

the layout would usually be 1/4" or 1/8" scale

Laura:

If your layout is sized for 12 x 18 at 1/8" scale you can print at 200% for 1/4" on 24 x 36

all depends on what size your layout was created at

Lew

7 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Michael: 

I think you meant the plan is at 1:1 scale

the layout would usually be 1/4" or 1/8" scale

No,  I meant what I said and I said what I meant.  I was actually referring to the Drawing Scale found in the Drawing Sheet Setup.

58e5c269ee120_Scale1.thumb.png.beafb0c5c5515e9ae06fd4b2db17d050.png

There are very few situations where you should be setting you Drawing Scale to anything other than 1 to 1.  That scale setting is telling Chief how to translate your layout to paper (or PDF).  For the VAST majority of situations you want 1" of layout "paper space" to print at 1" on your paper.  The scale you send from plan to layout is an entirely different subject.  You need to scale that down so that it will fit on the page. 

Here is an example of Chief's OOB imperial layout on 24" x 36" paper with a 1in. = 1in. Drawing Scale...

58e5c49a1666e_Scale2.thumb.png.0161fda5b305336703d0be8ca6493823.png

Now here's an example of the exact same layout with a 1/4in. = 1in. Drawing Scale...

58e5c4df1ca05_Scale3.thumb.png.42624d396bf0b126723e9ba9746c4130.png

Again, the only reason that comes to mind for changing that setting away from 1 = 1 would be in order to print on smaller paper than you had originally planned for.  For example, maybe you drew things up to print on 22x34 and then decided to print on 11x17 (or visa versa).  It's a way of preserving an accurate scale for a different paper size. 

And BTW, the reason I had guessed it was a drawing scale issue is because of this statement...

"I am saving it as a 24"x36" in 1/4'=1'0" but it is not working." 

The scale you send from plan to layout is an entirely different subject

Michael:

maybe I've been doing it work all these years ???

when I send to layout from plan I would usually use 1/4"

then when I printed from layout to PDF I would use "to scale"

then when printing from the PDF I would choose my paper size etc

so if my layout was 11 x 17 - my usual layout page size

I might send to layout at 1/8" scale so that when printed on 24 x 36 paper

it could be enlarged at 200% to give 1/4" scale

this is what CA recommended for HD PRO users who have an 18 x 24 max page size limitation

I've been doing this since 2005

plan size is 1:1

Lew