rotating plan

djhplanning

I'm having trouble understanding the rotate plan view process.  I am working on a plan that is taller than it is wide when looking at the screen.  I have sent the plan to layout and have decided it will look better and fit on my 24x36 sheet size being rotated 90 degrees.  I first tried to select and rotate all items drawn but am not given that option.  So, after some research, I've gone back to chief and used the rotate plan view and have rotated the drawing 90 degrees.  I have also went into my text defaults and have unchecked "rotate with plan" except for default label style.  All working good so far.  When I go back to chief to draw more, and go to move something, why do my keyboard arrow keys still act as though my plan is in the original position?  i.e. pushing right arrow key moves the object down instead of right.   This will be very frustrating making drawings edits from this point on.  Is there a setting for this to be correct?? 

Dan,  you should be using a different tool.  Like Eric said, just rotate the layout boxes (will require you uncheck "Rotate With Plan" for all your text).  OR....Use Edit Area (All Floors), draw a marquis selection around everything and then rotate that. 

I've suggested in the past that Rotate Plan View be renamed as it causes a lot of confusion in this particular area.  What it does is rotate the plan VIEW.  In essence, it rotates your drawing board. 

Dan,

I strongly advise you not to use Rotate View.

As Michael says, it rotates your "drawing board" - and everything with it.

It really doesn't rotate the plan - just your view of the plan.

This also means that the coordinate system and snap grid are rotated (that's  what you are seeing with the arrow keys).

Doing this will not rotate the plan in layout views.

I would use Edit Area (All Floors).

• 9 months later...

Just trying to fix a plan that was taking 30 seconds after every single move of the mouse or touch of a key....

Switched off 'rotate plan view' and everything good again. I had stupidly rushed into this drawing just sticking with north as straight up. Bad move. CA seems to work best with a non rotated plan view, can get badly slow otherwise. Note to self - stick with designing with buildings at 0 and 90 degrees as far as possible. This could make designing multiple units at differing angles tricky. BTW, I've been building the last couple of years, back to drawings now, might even have to update my CA from... X6!!

• 1 month later...

A word to the wise: the rotate plan feature is not only counter-intuitive, it produces an entire Pandora's box of problems with text display, that will make you crazy.  If you have to add an addition, start from scratch.  Buggy and buggy!  Please fix. 

1 hour ago, DG1949 said:

A word to the wise: the rotate plan feature is not only counter-intuitive, it produces an entire Pandora's box of problems with text display, that will make you crazy.  If you have to add an addition, start from scratch.  Buggy and buggy!  Please fix. 

First off, we don't have a "rotate plan feature".  What we have is a Rotate Plan View tool, and I don't think there's anything buggy about it whatsoever.  You just need to know what its for.  As I previously stated above, what that tool does is rotate your drawing board so to speak.  Its like taking a set of paper prints and rotating them.  EVERYTHING rotates...including your text drawing axis, grid...everything.  If you want to simply rotate your object(s) within the plan then you need to use a different method. 

I solved this issue for myself many years ago. In my opinion, the answer to this is a bi-directional layout title block. It may stretch your grpahic design skills but this will save you from ever needing to think about it again. Keep in mind that there's not a lot weirder than a plan drawn sideways or backwards or upside down. The "front" of the building should ALWAYS be at the bottom of your screen, and subsequently, your paper. When you have a structure that needs it's layout box rotated, no big deal because your layout template has 2 bottoms, the actual bottom, and the right hand side of the sheet. On site, even a cribber can figure out how to turn a sheet of paper (only one though)!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 5:02 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

First off, we don't have a "rotate plan feature".  What we have is a Rotate Plan View tool, and I don't think there's anything buggy about it whatsoever.  You just need to know what its for.  As I previously stated above, what that tool does is rotate your drawing board so to speak.  Its like taking a set of paper prints and rotating them.  EVERYTHING rotates...including your text drawing axis, grid...everything.  If you want to simply rotate your object(s) within the plan then you need to use a different method. 

I stand corrected.  We have a "Rotate Plan View tool" feature.  I'm glad it works, out of the box, the way you, and others, like and expect it to.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

No, it just got relocated.

Well that is unique way fix the function hide it.  :)

Went looking and found it under the plan views, obviously I haven't  been there.  Just too busy to dig in and decide what I think about saving plan views - seems promising, but so far I am finding the extra tabs to be a mild nuisance.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:04 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

What needs fixing? I used to think it could stand to be renamed, but with the new Plan Views, the name actually seems fine now too.

I was speaking satirically, hard to do in print. 

That said, I used to rotate some of my early work, which would create a lot of extra annotation edit work, scrambling electrical connections, user blocked work, etc. - whenever I would need to reverse a plan (I know it shouldn't matter but it did).  Over time I realize the best solution for any work was to use edit area especially early on in a project & more importantly draw everything in landscape.  The best recommendation I can make is use rotate plan view sparingly; perhaps as a last resort on one off projects.