This is a collection of kitchen exhaust hood appliances in several popular brands, including island canopies, wall canopies, and under-cabinet hoods. In all, there are about 25-30 hoods in various standard sizes.

I have taken the time to adjust smoothing angle, bounding boxes and stretch planes where appropriate. NOTE: The island and wall canopies mount on the ceiling; simply adjust the appliances height in the dialog box, or resize by dragging downward in 3D view.

Face count high on some as usual (they come from 3D Warehouse), but all things considered I found them to be tolerable. Use at your own discretion.

Play around with the stainless material to get the results you want... I haven't found a good stainless material yet.

Hope you enjoy!

post-210-0-85708400-1402507648_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-52363300-1402507670_thumb.jpg

kitchen_hoods.calibz

• Upvote 1

Thanks for this.  I have used a couple of these myself from the Warehouse.  Just eliminating the grills at the upper portion of some of them I have found reduces the face count considerably.

You're quite right! But sometimes I do like a bit of detail to help with realism in raytraces.

Thanks Brink , just wondering if your symbols only work for X6 users or for older versions too eg X5 or X4 ?

I have not found a way to make any library items backwards compatible. Never was sure why they couldn't be, but they apparently aren't. Sorry about that.

I have not found a way to make any library items backwards compatible. Never was sure why they couldn't be, but they apparently aren't. Sorry about that.

Yes you can. I've been doing it for years. You can do it if you do each symbol at a time. Place a symbol in a blank Plan (X6). Do a vector overview (be sure the symbol is the only think in the plan. Go to File>Export>3D Model (DWG) I use an early version to be sure. Name the DWG file and save it. Open X5. Go to File>Import>3D Symbol (DWG)>find it in browser >Open it>Chief will place it in your X5 library. Done. I just did it with X6 to X5 with one of the symbol in this thread to be sure it works the same in X6. It does, so sure, you can make the X6 symbol work with X5 or earlier. 

I was just responding to the question asked about making an X6 symbol useable in X5 and their comment was that they didn't know how to do it.. I did and yes it can be done very easily. Yes I'm using X6 SOMETIMES but I'm still using X5 currently on a main basis. The people whom I get most of my money are using X5 which I hope will be upgrading to X6 in a month or so. I'm also doing plans on my own using X6. I still have one builder who is using X2 which is a real pain. I do have some symbols that I made in X6 that I may convert to X5 if I need them. Right now I don't. But, can you do it? Yes.

To answer your second comment, of course it would be better to make it to begin with in an earlier version...but what if they didn't have an earlier version??

Edited by tommy1

Hey Brinkster, while you're at it, please post Revit and 20/20 versions to make my life easier.  Thanks, you're swell.

C'mon guys, really?  Use the models or not, but whining because you won't upgrade to current version software; please.

jon

• Upvote 2

I agree with Jon

someone who shares symbols has no obligation to make them available

for earlier versions

stay current or stay "lost"

Lew

Lew, you are correct and I too agree (to a degree). There have been many times in the past where I made a symbol or library. Then later, I decided to share with other people on this forum using earlier versions. Doing this requires making another symbol or library as mentioned earlier, which yes takes MY time but that was a decision I decided to do for other users. Could I do this from the library posted here? Yes, but I certainly wouldn't consider it unless several people requested it and then I might only send it to them. There are different reasons why some people haven't upgraded from X5 to X6 and usually it's due to monetary reasons. I personally don't feel that people should be condemned or get spoken badly about because they haven't upgraded to the latest version. Maybe they will at a later time. Would it be better if they did? Of course, but there is nothing wrong with X5 and if you think there is, then you should complain to Chief Architect about how bad it is. BTW, I have my complaints about X6 too. The program will never be perfect for everyone.

I don't think anyone was "Whining" just asking , and of course I appreciate any symbol I find here that I can use...

I downloaded the Trial version so I could check it out and some of the symbols , and it maybe a Trial Version issue but I have a missing texture? in this library and one of the others so far, would it be cause I haven't downloaded ALL the Addon Content yet?

eg....

post-315-0-01251400-1403237096_thumb.png

the other library referred to an X3/DMDz/ ..."deloren control panel" though....

I downloaded the Trial version so I could check it out and some of the symbols , and it maybe a Trial Version issue but I have a missing texture? in this library and one of the others so far, would it be cause I haven't downloaded ALL the Addon Content yet?

No, it's probably my error. The way materials work -- the way they attach themselves to plan files and library objects -- has always confused and eluded me.

Some content I get from ChiefTalk are always perfect, and sometimes the materials are all way off.

Sometimes the items in my own library change materials from plan to plan, so I am not surprised anyone would have trouble with textures in the libraries I put out. I must be doing something wrong.

Sorry you are having issues; if you like the symbols and want to keep them, just change the missing textures to something you have in your materials library.

Yep can do that , thought you could post the missing textures possibly , so I can keep your Library "Original".

I don't think there will be a replacement for the Missing Deloren Control Panel though in the microwaves.

M.

• 1 month later...

I want to thank you for sharing these.  I have gone to 3D Warehouse and have downloaded symbols, but not all successfully.  If one doesn't have a lot of experience playing around with creating symbols and knowing how to manipulate them, they don't always work or look correct, so I really appreciate all your hard work!