VERY frustrating Layout sheet problem...GRRRRR!

John_B

I have had a nagging issue that is driving me NUTS!  Long story short....I am chasing dimension lines on my Layout Drawing sheets that keep mysteriously extending themselves.....when I correct it by clicking on the section drawing so that it goes to the original drawing I have to click on a component (e.g. CAD object) to cause the lines to "disappear" and go back to the "original way that I dimensioned them.  The easiest way to see and understand this problem is to look a the samples below...I have circled in red the "mysteriously" added lines that wander off to the left (or on some sheets to the right) of the drawing compared to the way that I originally dimensioned them.  This wouldn't be a problem to just click on this drawing to fix it but what happens is one of the other section drawings does the same thing as soon a I fix one and all I am doing is chasing a ghost because then it happens on another page.  My only fix was to save the drawing floor plan and section as a new title to stop this but I have so many sections that I can't keep track of all the changes....HELP!!!!!

post-267-0-44564300-1478200385_thumb.jpg

post-267-0-72364100-1478200395_thumb.jpg

check your dimension defaults, for extention lines sounds as though they are set for larger scale or something.

Thanks for the reply Graeme....I haven't changed anything with scaling on extension lines.....where would I look?

You have drawn dimensions on the real cross section 33.  Why not CAD detail from view and use CAD detail in the layout.

Setting this aside, I double clicked Layout section H, opened crossed 33; move dim to an opposite side, closed it. Chief offered to update the layout I said yes. Layout was updated correctly.

I rerun my steps now the way you provided, chief again offered to resend it to layout.. YES .. Layout was correctly updated. Saved both files, reopen - CA works correctly.

You have drawn dimensions on the real cross section 33.  Why not CAD detail from view and use CAD detail in the layout.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this....I typically don't...should I?

Setting this aside, I double clicked Layout section H, opened crossed 33; move dim to an opposite side, closed it. Chief offered to update the layout I said yes. Layout was updated correctly.

I rerun my steps now the way you provided, chief again offered to resend it to layout.. YES .. Layout was correctly updated. Saved both files, reopen - CA works correctly.

That's not the problem....you can see how the dimension lines trial off in Sec I...if you fix these by merely clicking anywhere on the arch in the detail then Section N in the layout on the next page does the exact same thing!  You're chasing a loop!  This is where I need the help!

Thanks for taking the time to look at this....I typically don't...should I?

I do this more often then not, but I hate it....live sections are much better if changes are made down the line, but I find CAD details a lot easier to directly control the visual presentation.

I dont know if you use point-to-point dimensions or not but I use them OFTEN.  I dont like messing with it and will just manually enter what I want and move on.

Use CAD detail from view and use CAD detail in the layout.

One of the reasons that I haven't used CAD detail for layouts is that it seems to leave certain lines out at times...e.g, if I do it for Sec N then ton the Chimney chase on the upper left side of the rolled soffit molding it leaves out the lines so that it looks odd (see pic enclosed):

post-267-0-90453700-1478269424_thumb.jpg