capitaldesigns

Roof problem on addition project

I am working on a simple room addition project. I am having a problem with adding the new roof planes over the new addition.

I have already input the existing floor plans along with roof framing. The existing roof is framed with roof trusses. The new

additions roof will be conventional framing.

I had a hard time getting the roof planes on the new addition. Half of the roof plane would not join together using the join roof

planes tool. When I pulled the new roof over the existing roof planes the new would not stop when they intersected the existing

roof planes. With a lot of time I was able to get it to look right in perspective view even though I keep getting error messages

when working on the roof planes.

I also have a few line sowing up on the roof plan that I can not identify. Could someone take a look at my plan and let me know

where I am going wrong.

Thanks,

Mike

2016-23 Design 1.plan

Chopsaw,

This is The Chief telling you that you cannot design a roof this way on a planet where it rains or snows as you will have a major water and ice problem. Several options to fix this. PM me with your phone number or Skype address and we can talk if you like.

They are Ceiling Break Lines.

Another option, redlines on plane are your ridge cap and can be turned off in layers. Other dashed lines were as Glen pointed out "ceiling break lines", this means this section hangs below default ceiling height.

2016-23 Design 1 mine.plan

post-4392-0-39394800-1476185851_thumb.png

I have that problem all the time and you have to frame that California overbuild manually ,as Chief just won't do it over existing trusses. automatically, been that way for years now. I have also put in requests to T.S. for years.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RichRidgewood
    Newest Member
    RichRidgewood

• By kylejmarsh
      When I multiple select roof planes, I am given the option to change their baseline height or their pitch, and nothing else. So I have to go into each roof plane and set it's fascia height individually - which stinks, partly because of CA's dialogue-box heavy interface. If I have to open up a dang dialog box, can't I at least have the option to override all and set the fascia and pitch or ridge and pitch, etc. for all the roof planes selected?

This is a larger part of the underlying issue, which is that CA needs to invest in a GUI redesign because this one is so clunky and cumbersome. Please Chief, please. Please.

• By JbeckWY
      My client decided that instead of a full 2 story he would like to do a 1 1/2. Is there any way  I can drop the roof without having to delete all roof planes and building again? I have multiple manual roof planes and do not want to lose those. 
    • By JosephPremo
      Good Morning,

I am looking to create auxiliary views of roof planes for creating 3D laser cut models to scale. We were able to cut the elevation views as well as the floor plan, however, we are struggling to find a solution to cutting the roof planes on more complex roof planes than the one I have attached. I am doing this with my high school architecture and construction class. We need the exact view of the roof plane in order to maintain its true dimensions. Is there a way to select an roof plane in orthographic projection and see its auxiliary view? In most solid modeling programs you are able to select a surface or plane and see its "normal" view. I have included two pictures of what I am looking to do which may help explain it better.

Thanks,

Joe

• By Jason_M
      I can't change my roofing material.  I'm pretty accustomed to switching materials and or editing materials.
      In my roof planes specifications dialog, under materials, Roof Plane is listed without a material selected, and the only options I can edit are: Fascia and Soffit/Eve.
      I've changed roofing materials  a lot in the past, can't get around this one.
      If I change the ridge cap material, it only adds the ridge cap profile and changes that strip.
      I am using a gambrel roof, so maybe that has something to do with it?

• By AgChief
      Ok, the next thing odd happening with this model:

The cheek walls on the dormers are being cut at the roof plane locations.  I suspect it's a problem with the two roof planes coming together at the gambrel pitch transition points, and being compounded by two ceiling planes below the roof planes created to 1) provide a 12" space for insulation and air gap between the roof decking and insulation; 2) provide gussets at the roof pitch transition where the support studs have been removed to open up the rooms.

Dormer_cheek_wall_problem.plan