widen foundation wall footing to support exterior post

jimmyp

Hi folks

I have a deck outside a house. There will be flush beams for the joists. One end is up against the wall of the house. To allow the concrete space around the post, I want to change the footing line. I can make this work fine in the middle of a wall by using ctrl-B.

But what do I do for the corner?Since the walls automatically join, I can't get them to break in the correct place (or even close) In the picture, I have a cad box with solid fill and a dashed line. I moved it to the back of the group. but to clean up the garbage, I'm looking at a bunch of tiny solid white boxes?

is there a better way?

Thanks!

post-3238-0-74318000-1468165508_thumb.jpg

post-3238-0-25973000-1468165510_thumb.jpg

This is a tricky one.  The challenge is creating a footing that's offset in both directions from the corner of the main foundation walls.  You can make it work okay in plan view using an additional short section of wall and manipulating the footing, but it looks bad in 3D.  Unfortunately, the best I can come up with for this situation is simply using a slab with a solid fill (background color) and invisible line style along with a polyline for the little footing perimeter.  Example is attached. 

post-46-0-41808600-1468265556_thumb.png

Footing.plan

Use the Wall break tool then pull out the footing

Ken nailed it, break wall.

That's a good method most of the time but Jimmy stated that he's already using break wall.  Problem is that method doesn't really work when your trying to offset your footing in both directions from the corner like in the example though.

And Shane, just FYI in case you didn't realize it, you don't even need to use that foundation offset number.  You can simply select the wall and use the little edit handles on the edge of the footing to resize just the footing. 

jimmyp (and Michael)

After using the Wall Break Tool (anywhere along the wall -  it doesn't have to be right in the corner), try separating the wall sections and then sizing the wall sections that make up the corner (by dragging or using dimensions) to where you want them, then reconnect the walls. As you can see in the pic, I could get them to within one foot of the corner before the walls snapped back together (don't know that you would want the footing to be any smaller).

Anyway, the key I found is to separate the walls before trying to size the wall for the enlarged footing. Having temporary dimensions on and grid snaps off also helped.

Hope this helps.

post-571-0-37047800-1468289031_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-17482400-1468289046_thumb.jpg

jimmyp (and Michael)

After using the Wall Break Tool (anywhere along the wall - it doesn't have to be right in the corner), try separating the wall sections and then sizing the wall sections that make up the corner (by dragging or using dimensions) to where you want them, then reconnect the walls. As you can see in the pic, I could get them to within one foot of the corner before the walls snapped back together (don't know that you would want the footing to be any smaller).

Anyway, the key I found is to separate the walls before trying to size the wall for the enlarged footing. Having temporary dimensions on and grid snaps off also helped.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mickey, I could already get the same results you show without any problem. I was just trying to help the OP model the condition illustrated in his second image. Now whether or not the footing SHOULD be that small is another subject.

Thanks Mickey, I could already get the same results you show without any problem. I was just trying to help the OP model the condition illustrated in his second image. Now whether or not the footing SHOULD be that small is another subject.

Help me out, Michael.

You said in regard to using the Break Wall tool in the corner: "Problem is that method doesn't really work when your trying to offset your footing in both directions from the corner like in the example though."

But it does work, so what am I missing?

How about using the post tool. Set post to whatever size you want with square footing and adjust material. Post is adjustable and footing as well. If this is add on to house then showing the footing separate would be more likely than showing it as part of what is already there.

Why would you just not attach a ledger board to carry joists? Curiosity is getting best of me on that.

post-3379-0-24542700-1468292742_thumb.jpg

post-3379-0-13240000-1468292894_thumb.jpg

Help me out, Michael.

You said in regard to using the Break Wall tool in the corner: "Problem is that method doesn't really work when your trying to offset your footing in both directions from the corner like in the example though."

But it does work, so what am I missing?

I'm having a hard time finding the proper words to describe it. Just try to model the exact condition illustrated in the image Jimmy posted, or open the plan I attached and try to recreate the same situation I drew up using the same dimensions and I think you should see what I mean. Note that the small section of footing is offset (further outside the building) in both directions. The footing in your example is not offset...it is only made wider in both directions.

Thanks Michael

As you keep stating, I'm trying to model an exact condition. 

The wall break technique does not work because the corner snaps into an auto generated shape which I cannot modify to the correct dimensions around where the post will actually sit.

I will clean it up with cad boxes...

sometimes chief is so smart about some things and so dense about others... That's why I ask here to make sure it's not operator error lol

Jerry

The post tool isn't ideal because I'd still have to use cad boxes to clean it up. I was trying to find a simple way to represent the enlarged footing in the correct location. The reason for the post is because there will be a beam there. I'm only concerned about plan view.

post-3238-0-48704800-1468341323_thumb.jpg