ANY ONE USE DROP BOX

pazzfam

On my system.

ul.jpg

That's just your user library. Click on your C drive and check you Program Files for a lot more stuff. Be careful though...don't mess with any of it unless you know what you're doing. Even clicking on that user library...which will result in duplicate files in your user library inside Chief.

It's an interesting problem.  My Library is currently about 350 MB but I have Plans that are over 150 MB.  Only when I save a Plan does Dropbox sync to the web.  The same is true with the Library - as long as it's open in Chief - Dropbox doesn't have access because Chief "Locks the Library". 

I think the real problem is in seeing if there's a way to change the location of the Library to the "Dropbox Folder" and still have Chief know where to find it.

I thought I would try it with 'My Materials' and could not locate it.

Is the library a single 'file'? If so then that might take the fun right out of synching as you suggest. But a moot question as I don't know where that is either.

The Library file is:

C:\Users\<your name>\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X8 Data\Database Libraries\User_Library.calib

I regularly copy this file from one system to another using "LogMeIn".  There's no real magic to it.

...Only when I save a Plan does Dropbox sync to the web. The same is true with the Library - as long as it's open in Chief - Dropbox doesn't have access because Chief "Locks the Library".

I think another problem lies when the library is NOT open in Chief (i.e. will Dropbox "lock" the library when you need to open it) and if Chief can somehow override that...due to its size (especially with slower connections) can you really be sure the library ever gets synced.

Also, just to clarify, I believe the location you and Eric are referring to is nothing more than your user catalog (i.e. it does not include the core catalogs, the bonus catalogs, or any of the manufacturer catalogs.  For the vast majority of users I believe the user catalog is a mere fraction of the size of the rest of the library. I believe the rest of those catalogs are hidden somewhere here...

post-46-0-00747800-1467077621_thumb.png

Maybe in the actual application itself?  I'm really not sure.  What I do know is this...if you move your entire user catalog (not including core catalogs, bonus catalogs, or manufacturer catalogs) to the trash, the size of the User_Library in that other location becomes extremely small and the Trash file in that same location changes accordingly.  As I said, I also believe if you double click on the User_Library you will end up duplicating everything in your user catalog (but not in any of the others).  I seem to recall making that mistake when I first started using Chief. 

EDIT:  One more quick detail.  Consider this...My User_Library file is a mere 40,000 KB.  The Viking catalog alone is over 192,000 KB.  Those additional catalogs must be hidden somewhere else...I don't know, maybe they're in one of the other hidden folders elsewhere...its a bit of a mystery to me but they've got to be somewhere...

Alrighty then.  For those of you curious...

I finally found where all those other libraries are hidden.  I was close...  They in a hidden Program Data folder.  Finally found them via Preferences>Folders>All Program Paths>Show

Here are some quick screenshots...Note that there's around 6,000,000 KB (6,000 MB) in the manufacturer catalog alone. 

post-46-0-56748100-1467088403_thumb.png

post-46-0-39184800-1467088411_thumb.png

post-46-0-82637400-1467088428_thumb.png

The computer hard drive is not a place to store files in my opinion.  I think all files should be stored on the cloud

Scott:

I would argue for the opposite

primary storage on my hard drive

dropbox or the cloud for secondary/backup/sharing storage

30+ years as a systems analyst/programmer taught me to keep control of

my files and never rely on others to do so

Lew

HEADS UP ON SHARED FILES USING DROPBOX - BEWARE !!!!!

Crypt0L0cker virus ("Files Encrypted" Ransomware)

If you share files anyone that gets the Crypt0L0cker virus will infect the shared file in Dropbox. (if they have the right to change the file ??)

This will effectively mean that those files are LOST (GONE).

Backing up files on a hard drive "NOT CONNECTED" to the internet is the safest way to protect your files.

This is my understanding, if anyone can added to this I am interested?

I got this response from someone at Cheif Architect tech support:

"We do not recommend working over a network as you can experience corruption issues when Dropbox runs a sync while you are working on the plan. "

If this helps. I have the User Library synced in my OneDrive folder, just change the file destination under "Preferences", "General", "Folders". Everything seems to work ok. I did try about a year ago to sync the main Library, this did not work. The main problem was that Chief seems to need this to be in the main Chief directory "C:/Program Data" and as such it does not seem to be possible to relocate it to separate Cloud folder such as OneDrive or Drop Box. The only way I could get this to work was to run a separate file syncing program to first sync the main Library to my OneDrive folder and then sync the OneDrive folder back. This of course would only work if the syncing was done in only one order in order to avoid two syncing programs trying to sync at the same time. This also had to be done either before opening Chief or after closing Chief, it did not like the files being synced while in operation. After some thought I decided that my User Library was really the most important one to sync as it tends to change most frequently.

Graham

Richard - The problem I encountered is that main Catalog files do not like being synced while Chief is open. You could do this say at the beginning and end of the day once you are finished with Chief but you would need to do this on every system. Could always set up a sync schedule, I tried this but was not patient enough to wait for it to finish before getting into Chief.

Maybe some other users have had some success at this and would like to share their experience.

Graham

I set my default folder locations to my DropBox folder and lost pretty much everything custom I had done. Tool Bars, Hot Keys, all my manufacturers catalogs and bonus content, everything I had customized was now simply not there. Not sure what Ill do other than rebuild everything from scratch, and I'm not sure how reliable that DropBox folder is for all my custom stuff. Trying to find my old data to restore but not having any luck. Will leave well enough alone for the future.