Simple ceiling grid tool

CARMELHILL

Thanks Michael,  That is not what I thought the tool did but I got it now thanks to you.  Not practical for cad lines but more useful for distribution of objects. Not really well explained in the help file. I will watch your video when you get it done.

post-4797-0-77906100-1464325678_thumb.jpg

Thanks Michael,  That is not what I thought the tool did but I got it now thanks to you.  Not practical for cad lines but more useful for distribution of objects. Not really well explained in the help file. I will watch your video when you get it done.

Yep.  You can use it to do the CAD grid just like in your screenshot.  That's another extremely quick way to get the job done.  Actually the main reason I used CAD lines in the video is that it sounded closer to what Edward was already doing, and I think they're a little easier to manipulate and keep track of for most people.  Moving around a group of polylines is just a little trickier.  If I find a few extra minutes that will be in my next video.

I use a pre made grid that I blocked & added to the library.

It is rather large so I delete most lines after exploding & trimming.

It can be rotated and nugged into your preferred alignment.

I don't center but look at the margin tiles to prevent any small tiles & make sure the lights if used will look ok in the space. More of a visual alignment for me.

Great video Michael.

I use a pre made grid that I blocked & added to the library.

It is rather large so I delete most lines after exploding & trimming.

It can be rotated and nugged into your preferred alignment.

I don't center but look at the margin tiles to prevent any small tiles & make sure the lights if used will look ok in the space. More of a visual alignment for me.

Great video Michael.

But you have to get it right the first time. Add lights, add smokes, add sprinkler heads, and then find out the layout isn't optimal......start over. Trim, extend, blah, blah. I want that ceiling tool that Vectorworks has had since 2010. Six freakin years ago they were way ahead of us on something soooo basic.

... Six freakin years ago they were way ahead of us on something soooo basic.

Yes, and 6 freakin' years ago Chief was way ahead of VW with some things as well.  In fact Chief is way ahead of a number of other programs in a good handful of areas.  I wish people would stop acting like every little thing they've seen or used in another software is an absolute necessity in Chief and that its somehow an absolute travesty when we don't have it. 

Consider doing this...Make a suggestion, adjust your methods, and try not to be so negative. Its seriously really discouraging and doesn't promote a very productive atmosphere.  

Yes, and 6 freakin' years ago Chief was way ahead of VW with some things as well.  In fact Chief is way ahead of a number of other programs in a good handful of areas.  I wish people would stop acting like every little thing they've seen or used in another software is an absolute necessity in Chief and that its somehow an absolute travesty when we don't have it. 

Consider doing this...Make a suggestion, adjust your methods, and try not to be so negative. Its seriously really discouraging and doesn't promote a very productive atmosphere.  

I hear you Michael,  but this would be a great tool.  I think this is a tool that can be used for many different functions.  

This tool could be used for all sorts of tile layouts,  whether floor,  wall or ceiling tiles.  I watched your vid.....  and I love your vids,  you do things I had not thought of,  but it was slow and laborious watching what you had to do...  and it was still not 3D.

There is a CA member who comments on what a great idea some of the suggestions are,  I just wish that same person would recognize the value of this tool,  let us know what a great idea it is,  and let us know he is passing it on to the development team.

Please  CA,  consider putting this tool in our palette,  as Elvis  would say:  "Thank you,  Thank you very much".

I hear you Michael, but this would be a great tool. I think this is a tool that can be used for many different functions.

This tool could be used for all sorts of tile layouts, whether floor, wall or ceiling tiles. I watched your vid..... and I love your vids, you do things I had not thought of, but it was slow and laborious watching what you had to do... and it was still not 3D.

There is a CA member who comments on what a great idea some of the suggestions are, I just wish that same person would recognize the value of this tool, let us know what a great idea it is, and let us know he is passing it on to the development team.

Please CA, consider putting this tool in our palette, as Elvis would say: "Thank you, Thank you very much".

Oh I get it, and it's a great suggestion, just not a big fan of the negative attitude, and BTW, I'll still try to get around to the 3D version video here sometime...

Having a hard time deciding which method to use...I've come up with about a dozen different methods (using moldings, p-lines, solids, slabs, CAD blocks, or various combinations thereof). Some that display the T and L profiles in elevations, and some that don't, some that are faster but less accurate, some that are more flexible, etc. It really depends on what people want to display in their individual plans, how they want to display those things and to what accuracy. And FWIW, 3D actually doesn't take much longer than 2D.

Oh I get it, and it's a great suggestion, just not a big fan of the negative attitude,....

Understood. I sometimes wonder how much TRUE input or influence we have on the programming direction of Chief. Just frustrated. Really don't want a second program in my office for commercial work. I don't want VW or AUTOCAD back in my office.

We all previously discussed getting some other basic commercial tools like electrical symbols that self correct their display scale from 1/4" to 1/8". A real key note manager instead of juryrigging a plant list that has no preview ability, Backwards editable door and window schedules where you can edit the actual schedule and it will update the plan symbol.,etc..

Just need some basic tools.

Understood. I sometimes wonder how much TRUE input or influence we have on the programming direction of Chief. Just frustrated...

I get it and fully sympathize. I think we actually affect a lot more change than you might think. I've seen it first hand with some of my requests and bug reports over the years. The one thing I would reiterate though is that reporting your problems and requests DIRECTLY to technical support (ESPECIALLY suspected bugs) seems to carry a little more weight. The suggestion forum is great as well, it just doesn't seem to get quite as much attention or feedback directly from Chief.

I have done several commercial projects using Michael/s method to success. I then use the 2D grid to then layout light fixtures and apply a ceiling tile material and align it to my 2D grid which also works well using the X-Y adjustments of the ceiling tile texture. It is all quite easy and straightforward to do.

DJP