jon_guiffre

Multiple Buildings in Terrain

I am trying to place several structures on a sloping terrain and all of the structures stay at the same floor reference height as the first structure that I drew. I want to put a cabana on a pool deck that sits about 8 feet lower then the main house. How do I get different structures to sit on the sloping terrain? I have X7.

The way I have adopted for large commercial projects on modulated terrain is to have a plan file for each building. Convert each building to a symbol and then place the symbols into a single plan with terrain. This makes the locating process a lot easier since you are raising and lowering symbols instead of multi part building constructs. The buildings converted to symbols can be gutted inside to create fewer 3D faces in the group plan. The single plan files are used to communicate each building in detail and the group plan is just for the site plan and site plan renderings.

DJP

I'm wondering, David, if you have some changes to several buildings, do you have to make new symbols, every time. That seems like a lot of extra work, and it would be great if Chief could figure a way to update the symbols. Never tried your method but I really don't run into that kind of thing very often. I can and do usually keep it all in the same plan.

I can and do usually keep it all in the same plan.

Me too especially with such a simple example as the OP proposed.

For me the symbol process is simple and fast, so I do not see the bother, such things are a matter of opinion anyways. Do what you like, I like symbols for large projects which makes the planning and layout easy and simple. Symbols are a nickle a billion that can be made and thrown away quickly.

DJP

Thanks David, I'll give this a try. As I have several different structures this might be the easiest and fastest way to handle this. 

Steve

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WaunakeeDesigner
    Newest Member
    WaunakeeDesigner

• By Texas_Chief_Pros
      Tutoring Services Architectural Drafting and Detailing Reinforced Concrete Drafting and Design Structural Drafting Services Architectural Presentation Drawings Floor Plan Drafting Services Landscape CAD Drawings Services CAD Conversion Services Kitchen and Bath Remodels 3D Design Services Rendering Services Tiny Home Design

• By KrenzyRyan
      Hey All!

Looks like a great community, pretty new to Sketchup - went through my first permit process, design, and construction with our garage (large building on the left).

We are now attempting to add a large area on the back (the white section).  I could use help and suggestions for how to roof over this area.  We would love to have 10' ceilings like our new garage. Here are my goals:
      Raise the middle section of the house to 10' ceilings (like the garage) - indicated by the blue arrow. Cover the new section, also with 10' ceilings - somehow keeping a similar pitch, etc. Keep the the remaining part of the house intact, unchanged (the left area in RoofPicHelp1.jpg).  
      Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

RedfieldMAIN - Redfield Today - Roof help.plan
    • By Designer100
      I have designed a pergola and a deck. I cannot get the terrian to show right. It needs to be zero of level at back of deck by pool deck and slowly slope down to a bayou. it needs to be 36" to grade at edge of outer deck Then a stair going down to the end of stair which is around 5 fr lower that top of deck. I have not did much terrian and would appreciate your help. This is just a remodeling and adding a deck from the pool. 

Thank  you,

Nerwell
      newell.cheatheam@gmail.com 
      Pergola_.plan

11X17.layout
    • By decorators3
      Hi 

I am building a foundation but in camera view there is a hole under the foundation but no terrain.. ???!!
    • By JNWArchitect
      I'm not sure why I can't seem to grasp this, but I want to have layout sheet A1 that has the floor plan with just the floor plan & dimensions, another layout sheet E1 with just the floor plan background and the electrical shown etc. So I send the working floor plan with the working layer set to the layout for A1... looks good. I change the working floor plan to the electrical layer set to generate the E1 sheet and the image on A1 now shows the electrical set... :-(
      What am I missing?