David Michael's Rope Lighting Video

dshall

The Great David Michael of ChiefTutor did a rope lighting video for us.  I love to watch that guy work,  he is so fluid with very little waste of motion.

Back to the point.  When I first watched the vid,  I loved the way he added a LIGHTING material to the molding.  It looked like it was casting light on the ceiling,  great,  but when I tried it,  I could not get the molding to CAST LIGHT on the ceiling above. What do you guys think was going on.  Was the light that I thought was being cast on the ceiling actually the molding?

Comment,  notice he used a 3d molding pline,  not a 2d molding pline,  why?   Does it make a difference?

Here is a  link to his vid.

http://www.chieftutor.com/CUSTOMERS/RopeLight/RopeLight.html  

Scott, did you flip the light 108deg so it would light the ceiling?

No,  I did not flip light because I think it was the molding that was given a LIGHTING material.  He did not use a light source for the molding.

I might of been looking at it incorrectly.  That is why I was asking.

Creating "Rope" lights is tricky.  Bump the emissive property and set transparency to zero.

See the red safety light in the attached...

jon

I get that,  but it is not emitting light.  I do not think it is working like I was hoping.

Bottom line,  the LIGHTING MATERIAL does to emit light....  and I think I knew that,  I was just hoping that DM came up  with something new.

Setting a material to 100% emissive only brightens the material.  There is NO actual lighting generated. That only happens when you have an actual light fixture/source.  THe only way to create the rope light is as David did with the multiple lights.  You also have to take time to get the light setting correct.  IN his video the light is too bright. IMHO  You can also play with the drop off rate and adjust the spread to about 170 which I think he may have done.  It really takes some trial and error and TIME.  THe biggest thing that bothers me is the light bleed. 

CHIEF PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No,  I did not flip light because I think it was the molding that was given a LIGHTING material.  He did not use a light source for the molding.

I might of been looking at it incorrectly.  That is why I was asking.

Yep he add  lights to get the final effect.

I created a triangular moulding that's set mostly transparent. It is about 12" wide Leg only 1" tall. Sits on clg above crown.

I make plae yellow/gold and set high emmssive. The taper simulates the light fade enough to fake it for the most. Used a few times.

I created a triangular moulding that's set mostly transparent. It is about 12" wide Leg only 1" tall. Sits on clg above crown.

I make plae yellow/gold and set high emmssive. The taper simulates the light fade enough to fake it for the most. Used a few times.

Do you have a pic of a plan you can share?

Do you have a pic of a plan you can share?

This was quick and dirty....

I just grabbed the plan where I did it and did a quick render.   I did not try to tweek the controls much as I did not do the final render in Chief the 1st time.  This is how the raytrace came, but I am sure you could improve the effect with some tweaking.

post-3615-0-15343800-1430087306_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Everyone, interesting talk here, I get here also because I need rope lights (or LED strips) for a project I'm working on , but my concert is about actually how to put this lights in my project and having them in the electrical plan and light legend (or schedule).

What is the best way to do this?

Sorry, this may be a basic question but I'm new with Chief Architect, this is my first project here. 

Thanks!

• 1 year later...