Room Material List

Carpenter4

OK, here is what I am getting.  I have tried going into defaults and changing the material to chief's wall board, 4x8, 1/2" as I just had drywall selected.  However nothing changed.  I get WB2 in sf but it is wrong.  THe 8 sheets listed is for the ceiling.

post-132-0-33576800-1428066891_thumb.jpg

This is (in a way) logical.

The "Room Material List" includes everything inside the room perimeter.  It uses the wall surface as the limit of what's inside and what's not.  By definition, the Structure itself is not inside the room.  If you really think about it the Walls, Floor Structure & Ceiling Structure are not a part of the room - they simply enclose it.  The Floor Finish and Ceiling Finish are considered as being "Inside the Room Perimeter".

Perhaps a toggle (checkbox) to include the surface wall layers would work, but it's never going to be a perfect fit.

Dennis,

Take a look at the Room dbx.  The Ceiling Drywall is in the "Ceiling Finish", not "Ceiling Structure". 

I'm not saying that Chief should include the Ceiling Drywall, but if you add the Ceiling Drywall to the Ceiling Structure and eliminate it from the Ceiling Finish it won't be reported in the Room Material List.

I draw a 16 x 16 bedroom and do a material list.  Sq ft for carpet is correct, LF of baseboard is correct, drywall is incorrect.  It shows only 8 sheets and I would need 16 sheets for the walls.  Also,  why does it not calculate drywall for ceiling or is it only doing the ceiling and not the walls?

I don't appear to be having that issue.

post-2478-0-33430200-1428070129_thumb.png

Joe - it's more the inconsistency I am talking about.  What is the correct procedure for setting up to get the proper output?

Personally, I really don't care because I always do a manual take off when needed but since I chimed in on this I would like to know the correct way to set things up based on Chief's process for generating room material lists.

Joe - it's more the inconsistency I am talking about.  What is the correct procedure for setting up to get the proper output?

Personally, I really don't care because I always do a manual take off when needed but since I chimed in on this I would like to know the correct way to set things up based on Chief's process for generating room material lists.

Dennis,

I don't think there's an inconsistency here at all.  I think the "Ceiling Drywall" is an effect of having Drywall as a part of the "Ceiling Finish".  With Walls it's part of the "Wall Type" so for Ceilings it should probably be included in the "Ceiling Structure".  I have it set up that way in my Defaults so a Room Materials List doesn't include any drywall at all.

"I have it set up that way in my Defaults so a Room Materials List doesn't include any drywall at all.

So, is that the intended set up from Chief?  I do not have the OOB profile plan so don't know if it is or not.

I'm not trying to say what is right or wrong but to understand the proper set up.  Maybe many of us have

made a mistake and unknowingly set it up wrong.

"I have it set up that way in my Defaults so a Room Materials List doesn't include any drywall at all.

So, is that the intended set up from Chief?  I do not have the OOB profile plan so don't know if it is or not.

I'm not trying to say what is right or wrong but to understand the proper set up.  Maybe many of us have

made a mistake and unknowingly set it up wrong.

No, the OOB setting has the drywall in the "Ceiling Finish".  IMO that's just a left over inconsistency from long ago.  Remember that we didn't always have the "Room Material List".

"I'm not saying that Chief should include the Ceiling Drywall, but if you add the Ceiling Drywall to the Ceiling Structure and eliminate it from the Ceiling Finish it won't be reported in the Room Material List."

Just re-read this.  OK, I see your point BUT.  I think Chief should clarify this  Seems like a set up for conflict to me.

Rethinking my previous posts.  I am a remodeler.  When I want to remodel a ROOM it should include what is on the walls.

i.e. - repair/replace drywall in master bedroom.   I don't look at a room as what is on the floor but the whole room including

walls and ceiling. 

The units of reporting depend on your material definition.

Specifically wether the Material Type is Area or Sheet.

Glenn, where specifically is this Areas-Sheet setting you are referring to ?

Also, when I select a room and go to Materials - Walls - Select Materials (see attached) and change to say 4' X 12' Sheets of 1/2" Drywall, it is not reflected in the Materials List, instead it list 4X8 sheets.

post-571-0-17040900-1428152196_thumb.jpg

post-571-0-80448400-1428152305_thumb.jpg