A Little Evening Structure Dialog Box Struggle

HumbleChief

I still call it the hell box but I bet others can find another name for it. Thought I would spend some time and try and figure the Structure dbx since it always stumps me. But alas it stumped me again. Still, after almost 15 years, simply no good reason (for me) to use it to create an accurate model. Here's my pathetic attempt and the plan in case anyone wants to play. I'm sure it's very very easy but my brain will not let the simplicity in.

http://www.screencast.com/t/YQAVj4BE6BvT

structre dbx.plan

Larry,

In the dbx for the Porch room on Level 1, you have Floor Supplied by Foundation Room Below.

So...you need to go down to the foundation level 0 and make the changes there.

Here is the dbx for the foundation room under the porch and the result showing the slab set down 4" with no stem wall above the slab.

Notice that there are differences in the settings available in this dbx from the dbx from the floor above room.

post-106-0-10476600-1426402754_thumb.jpg

Thanks always for the great help. I did get the slab to lower just as your dbx showed Glenn, but then the framing and sill plate were all wonky.

It seems that now the outside stem wall height is following the new slab height and the sill plate is gone and raising/lowering itself along with the slab height.

http://www.screencast.com/t/NArZUQvEL

Larry - I may be running up against this myself in a plan I am working on.  Still doing

pretty pictures at the moment but may be moving on to the more technical drawings

shortly.  If I find anything I'll let you know.  Thanks for the heads up though.  Now at

least I won't feel like it is only me........

Larry , that's all a bug and Brian can reproduce it. I have turned it in for many years now. Slab to stem wall is just not good. It also messes with the framing. In that case you could also try a stem wall footing with a slab on top of the patio, but we all know that is not how it is done here in Calif.

Larry - I may be running up against this myself in a plan I am working on.  Still doing

pretty pictures at the moment but may be moving on to the more technical drawings

shortly.  If I find anything I'll let you know.  Thanks for the heads up though.  Now at

least I won't feel like it is only me........

Dennis, I almost always bail on the structure dbx and simply draw in the needed section details but always thought there must be a away to get the model right - all the time. Apparently there isn't but the help is always enlightening.

Depends Jay,

In the San Diego area new houses are almost all monolithic slabs poured at the same time as the footing. Older houses can be stem walls with crawl spaces and wood joist floor framing, like the remodel in the plan. The stem wall foundations give me the most problems when modeling in Chief.