Auto Roof Question - One Big Roof over "Jogging" Exterior Wall

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by tundra_dweller,

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to model an existing rancher.  It has one big monolithic gable roof that covers the many jogs of the exterior wall below.  So, the eave depths and wall plate heights may vary accordingly:

image.thumb.png.679b65c8c5afe4e659875b5dc6d59198.png

I thought I'd try to make this happen with Auto Roofs.  (See below).

I can see Chief uses a uniform plate height and eave depth.  The result is staggered ridge lines and upper gable end walls.  Not the desired result.

image.thumb.png.18336d77e8a72450bb6d07e6b684a4bc.png

My question -- is it even possible to model this condition with auto roofs?  Or, am I better off just doing a manual roof?

(I know how to model this manually, but am trying to improve my understanding of auto roofs.  But, don't want to pursue a lost cause!)

Thanks once again,

Jim

• Solution

Good evening Jim, It should be entirely possible to auto roof this using invisible walls with room definition properties, or if you want to dive a little deeper check out Roof Baseline Polylines in the help files.

I would probably use a hybrid method of auto roof to start and then turn off auto roof and manually adjust the roof edges as needed. I would probably use a normal exterior wall to define the outermost boundaries of the roof, then turn off auto roof and adjust manually from there.

30 minutes ago, tundra_dweller said:

Roof Baseline Polylines

Brett,

Thanks for the tip!  I tried this out briefly and that seems to be the solution.

By generating a roof baseline polyline and then cleaning up the plan jogs, the roof reconciles itself into one monolithic roof.

I'll dive in further tomorrow.

Jim

• Like 1

Unless I am wrong, the only shortcoming of this method is that the soffit doesn't generate to the exterior wall when Boxed Eave, Flush or Default to Overhang are selected.  The soffit follows the underside of the roof rafters after reaching the set overhang.

11 hours ago, Doug_N said:

shortcoming of this method is that the soffit doesn't generate to the exterior wall when Boxed Eave, Flush or Default to Overhang are selected.  The soffit follows the underside of the roof rafters after reaching the set overhang.

Doug -- confirmed!

I guess I'll just do manual roof planes and cut my losses.

Thanks for the input and giving me a better understanding of auto roofs.

Jim

On 7/9/2024 at 8:35 AM, JKEdmo said:

Doug -- confirmed!

Jim

The Alcove setting and the Wall > Roof >extend Roof down Setting will handle some of that , but from the photo I'd say this might be a bit much for Auto Build to Handle and it maybe quicker manually

M.

7 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

Thanks Mick.

Jim

I'd probably just let Autobuild do the Main Gabled roof rectangle and then turn off Autobuild and break/move the Walls under the roof planes as a starting point.

M.

23 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Doug -- confirmed!

Jim

I wasn't suggesting that the roof be constructed in manual, just that the treatment of the soffit face leaves something to be desired if the soffit face is level.  The roof can still be completely done automatically.

if you do not care about how the soffit looks, you can set the eave widths to the correct amounts for each wall, and build the roofs with same height eaves, and then adjust what is presumably the garage at the end? From your picture, t looks like the backside of the garage has a lower roof (ridgeline is not same height.

across entire structure). Below was all auto done but if you want to lower the garage roof eave I believe it it would need to be manually lowered via the roof plane TNR with negative Z

I find this setting a little finicky to use as the eave width in the build roof dialog has to be a certain number to work correctly and then once working it can be set to anything. I've seen this a couple times. Its weird

• Check Same Height Eaves to keep the eave height for all roof planes the same. Roof planes are raised and lowered as needed so that eaves meet correctly.
    • The eave height used when this box is checked is that of a roof plane using the default Pitch and Overhang values. When this box is checked, all roof planes are affected, including those that do not need adjustment in order to align with adjacent planes.
    • When Same Height Eaves is checked, any non-default overhang values specified in the Wall Specification dialog are used. Roof planes are raised or lowered so that the eave height is the same, regardless of the horizontal overhang.

image.thumb.png.4cc890ef9134f76d109bc9a3314e5728.png

image.thumb.png.3e247e1cfda393bbf7c09424c01f57c3.png

eave (flat then pitched):

image.thumb.png.775ddd7a49b325aeb8e9e6a316d5fe52.png

27 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

Below was all auto done

Thanks Jason for your input.  I'll need to study this a bit.

Jim

P.S. thanks again to all for taking time out to look at this.  I appreciate this forum!