Temp dimension display distinction?

Gawdzira

One of these is a temporary dimension. Is there a way to better distinguish the display of a temp dimension? Even if I change my plan dimension layer to a bright color, when I select the connected object, both dimensions appear with the same colors. In a situation like this, I am likely to select the wrong dimension for my adjustment. I realize I can turn off temp dimensions but that is not the solution I am looking for. Is there a layer that Temp Dimensions populate from?

image.thumb.png.648d0f169819a807ac7dcb6da11aa0de.png

I think you have the makings of a suggestion there.  I have thought the same thing many times, and often just off temp dims until I need them for something.

On 5/25/2024 at 10:26 AM, Gawdzira said:

One of these is a temporary dimension. Is there a way to better distinguish the display of a temp dimension? Even if I change my plan dimension layer to a bright color, when I select the connected object, both dimensions appear with the same colors. In a situation like this, I am likely to select the wrong dimension for my adjustment. I realize I can turn off temp dimensions but that is not the solution I am looking for. Is there a layer that Temp Dimensions populate from?

I don't think I have ever seen two temp dimensions like you have. Not sure what is different or where else to look other than the defaults.

2072411657_TempDimsQuestion.thumb.png.cf8863e2d3996b08325d71a4d2154f43.png

On 5/25/2024 at 6:26 AM, Gawdzira said:

Is there a layer that Temp Dimensions populate from?

Not a Layer , they use the current Dimension Default in use at the time , other than those controlled by the Temp. Dims. defaults.

M.

@ValleyGuy only one of those is the temp dimension. That is the issue, there is nothing to distinguish it from the distinct dimension that I had already placed. The size difference is the placement locations (outside of stud vs. inside). 

1 hour ago, Gawdzira said:

The size difference is the placement locations (outside of stud vs. inside). 

the RH one is set to center of walls apparently....

M.

@Gawdzira ahhh, I see what you are talking about now... good point. As Doug pointed out, it's probably a good idea to make a suggestion then.

I guess I rarely see these two dims that close together because of maybe my work flow, dimension arrangement, and a little dumb luck. Work flow: I usually move walls into position using the temp dimensions while drawing, then apply the permanent dimensions afterwards. Dimension arrangement: a very large portion of my dimension lines are placed outside of the actual foot print -exterior wall dimensions, and intersecting interior wall dimensions. In your example, my temp dims are on the inside of the footprint and my permanent dims are on the outside-easily distinguishable. I do see what you are talking about with dims my dims completely inside. Maybe I just unknowingly made a habit to make the selection point on the wall far away from any permanent dimensions, thus keeping the temp dims separated..... ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention... now I won't look at them the same way again.... it's like that noise in my truck that I never heard before my mechanic pointed it out and now I can't stop hearing it :wacko:. You make a suggestion, I'll support you on it.