What Does this Symbol Mean?

HumbleChief

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

• Solution

Replace from library.

Basically, when you hover over something and you get that cursor, it means that you can replace the existing thing with the new thing from the library.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DBCooper said:

Replace from library.

Cool, thanks, and now see the tool in the tool bar, and also see that it's probably a tool I'll never use. Wonder why this symbol from the library comes with this tool attached? Thank You again.

15 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Wonder why this symbol from the library comes with this tool attached?

It only appears when its enabled to.

image.png.8ceee7cbddf651fa64b15407525a7c02.png

18 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

it's probably a tool I'll never use

It's pretty handy, it has scopes so you can mass-replace things.

image.png.7fca045de09ccd5e28567aed68922b9d.png

But I don't think it is by default, so I'm not sure why or how it surprised you like this,

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

It only appears when its enabled to.

image.png.8ceee7cbddf651fa64b15407525a7c02.png

It's pretty handy, it has scopes so you can mass-replace things.

image.png.7fca045de09ccd5e28567aed68922b9d.png

But I don't think it is by default, so I'm not sure why or how it surprised you like this,

Thanks Tea, Never seen the tool, never used the tool, and it might come in handy but I can see, at least on my machine today, that whenever I select this particular item from the library (haven't seen it with any others) that the 'replace from library' tool is indeed selected by default. I then turn it off and select the symbol again and the 'replace from library' is toggled back on again. Not a genuine problem but doesn't seem to be consistent between library items.

It can be super useful so you might actually be missing out.  Where it is really useful is not just replacing whole objects but when using it to replace sub-objects.

For example, changing cabinet door styles.  While in a camera view, find the door style you want in the library browser, and then in the edit toolbar click on the "plan mode" button and then just click on the cabinet door you want to change.  Bam, all the cabinet doors in the plan will change to the new style.  Want to change the handle or knob, you can do the same thing.  Stair and railing balusters can be changed the same way without ever having to open a dialog box.  Lots of other stuff works too.

So in your video above, if you designed your closet with shelves that all had the hangers and you wanted to replace them with shelves that didn't, you could just select the new one in the library and use the replace tool to swap them out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DBCooper said:

It can be super useful so you might actually be missing out.

For example, changing cabinet door styles.  While in a camera view, find the door style you want in the library browser, and then in the edit toolbar click on the "plan mode" button and then just click on the cabinet door you want to change.  Bam, all the cabinet doors in the plan will change to the new style.  Want to change the handle or knob, you can do the same thing.  Stair and railing balusters can be changed the same way without ever having to open a dialog box.

So in your video above, if you designed your closet with shelves that all had the hangers and you wanted to replace them with shelves that didn't, you could just select the new one in the library and use the replace tool to swap them out.

Thanks DB. Might indeed be useful but have never wanted to do any of the tasks you listed. If I do I'll remember this post and this feature - cause I hate to miss out :)

6 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

So do you only use the out-of-the-box defaults for all your style settings?  Or, do you use some other method of changing the styles?

My work flow and scope of work relative to my designs are clearly set from the beginning of any job. For example I'll design a kitchen with the clear understanding that the (default cabs in Chief) cabinets are there as place holders only, as I do not design kitchen cabinets as part of my services. Nor do I spec any paint colors, appliances, tile and/or counter finishes as those choices are left to the client and, if they choose, an interior designer which I will coordinate with on very rare occasions.

My 'styles', if you will, have been developed over many years and I now have a set of defaults for many applications that I use as needed, all living in my template plans so very little need to change any 'style' as I design.

I've posted many time how each of our business models and design work flows vary and I understand any work flow or business model that includes designing everything from cabinet pulls to tile colors, counter top choices and even colors for the walls but for me I'd rather not, and to be honest, want no part of those decisions as I've been there and do not want to go there again.

Also DB I meant it when I said I'll remember this thread and your post (and Tea's) regarding how 'replace from library' works and if the need arises I will gratefully remember your advice.

Thank you again.

Got it.  One person's "essential feature" is another's "never used" one because we all use the program a bit differently.  I guess it really only matters when someone is doing it the hard way just because they don't know any better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

that whenever I select this particular item from the library (haven't seen it with any others) that the 'replace from library' tool is indeed selected by default.

Huh. Yeah you got me on that one. I'm not sure how that setting would get stuck for just that one object. I messed with it a bit but can't get it to stick for me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

While in a camera view, find the door style you want in the library browser, and then in the edit toolbar click on the "plan mode" button and then just click on the cabinet door you want to change.  Bam, all the cabinet doors in the plan will change to the new style.

Man... Never knew this until today. 

All the more reason to visit the forum on a regular basis! 

Never seen the tool, never used the tool, and it might come in handy but I can see, at least on my machine today, that whenever I select this particular item from the library (haven't seen it with any others) that the 'replace from library' tool is indeed selected by default. I then turn it off and select the symbol again and the 'replace from library' is toggled back on again. Not a genuine problem but doesn't seem to be consistent between library items.

I think this depends on the type of library item.  As far as I can tell, it is on by default for some things, like cabinet door styles and hardware, and off for other things, like fixtures and furniture.  I am guessing that the two shelf symbols you are using are actually different symbol types.

Regardless, you can always toggle it on or off if you want but if you select a new library object it looks like it will reset.

As a follow up I tried this 'feature' and I'm sure it works brilliantly but as the video below shows, I'm simply not smart enough nor willing to invest the needed time to get these 'features' to work properly and my brain just does not get the paradigm that Chief presents around every corner. If, and that's a big IF, I need to learn this feature I will but in the mean time it's too easy for me to use the tools I know which don't always represent the hard way to do things versus using Chief's 'features'.

BTW, I'm not trying to suggest that you were not smart by doing it wrong and I totally get why you tried to do it wrong, but once you learn the "Chief" way, I think you will realize the tool is actually pretty slick and could save a lot of time.  Anytime I can do things without having to open up a dialog and dig down multiple levels (especially with the cabinet dialog), I think I am just a little bit happier.