Beautiful Chief Architect Rendering using an Image instead of the Backdrop X15

1 hour ago, stevenyhof said:

My son and I put a computer together yesterday on https://pcpartpicker.com/ - not sure when or if I will pull the trigger. 

993801294_computerlist.thumb.jpg.9f3e324e83aaaa25e29b2b18c6d277a9.jpg

The same MoBo and CPU I have now , you could definitely save some money there though , a 4080 Super is about 1/2 the cost of the 4090 currently and is only about 10-15% slower generally , but if you need the 24GB of RAM on the 4090 for TM/PS etc there are only a few options. You can likely use a 1000w PS too quite comfortable as well. There is nothing wrong with the Noctua Coolers but I know personally that some careful research on options for the Cooler, including AIO's on a 14900k is critical , it is a HOT CPU.

Oh and nice work above too :) 

M.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you, Kbird. You have been very helpful in learning about computer systems. I will definitely look into this deeper. 

Nothing wrong with your current computer system..not worth the money IMO. My ten year old mobo and cpu on the Evil Dead machine in my sig is only 20% slower than triptych top of the line computer when it comes to raytracing. We are talking just a second or two

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Nothing wrong with your current computer system..not worth the money IMO. My ten year old mobo and cpu on the Evil Dead machine in my sig is only 20% slower than triptych top of the line computer when it comes to raytracing. We are talking just a second or two

That’s good to hear. I don’t use it much for rendering but on bigger drawings while on a zoom call can make it a little slow. Then maybe I do wait for the 50xx graphics cards. 

1 minute ago, stevenyhof said:

That’s good to hear. I don’t use it much for rendering but on bigger drawings while on a zoom call can make it a little slow. Then maybe I do wait for the 50xx graphics cards. 

That's because zoom is using hardware acceleration and heavily fights the encoder as it isnt very optimized. Also the reason I do not use Zoom

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

That's because zoom is using hardware acceleration and heavily fights the encoder as it isnt very optimized. Also the reason I do not use Zoom

Is there something that is less taxing than zoom?

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I don't disagree , a 3080 is no slouch, at least as far as chief goes , and I doubt you'd be absolutely wowed by the change as I mentioned, perhaps see what X16 brings?   I did it cos I wanted too and I wasn't buying a whole machine like above, I swapped out the MoBo and CPU and went to a 360 AIO for the 14900k.   The 4080 Super was on a whim and a "want" :) not a need .... and it certainly pushes more pixels faster than my 3080Ti, but I don't notice that in Chief only elsewhere.

I mostly use Teams or Meet nowadays as most clients are in the M$ or Google Camp nowadays and they are "included" depending on your plan.

M.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I don't disagree , a 3080 is no slouch, at least as far as chief goes , and I doubt you'd be absolutely wowed by the change as I mentioned, perhaps see what X16 brings?   I did it cos I wanted too and I wasn't buying a whole machine like above, I swapped out the MoBo and CPU and went to a 360 AIO for the 14900k.   The 4080 Super was on a whim and a "want" :) not a need .... and it certainly pushes more pixels faster than my 3080Ti, but I don't notice that in Chief only elsewhere.

I mostly use Teams or Meet nowadays as most clients are in the M$ or Google Camp nowadays and they are "included" depending on your plan.

M.   

Thank you for your feedback on these things. More to consider. I do have google so will look into google camp and see how it performs. 

I went from a RTX 2070 8gig to the 4060 8gig and hardly noticed the difference. Maybe 5 seconds faster.

My build was from parts ordered from Newegg and totaled around $1900. If I recall the card was about 600 of that number. The price of cards is unreal! No wonder Nvidia is doing so well!

I have been tempted, to buy a used 4090 but don't really need/shouldn't spend $1700! :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

google

Perhaps one of the best things about Google Meet is how simple it is to start and join a meeting, plus the ability to join with multiple devices. This is especially handy if you have a laptop or tablet as well as your desktop running during a meeting. By comparison, I despise Zoom.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Perhaps one of the best things about Google Meet is how simple it is to start and join a meeting, plus the ability to join with multiple devices. This is especially handy if you have a laptop or tablet as well as your desktop running during a meeting. By comparison, I despise Zoom.

14 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

M.   

1 hour ago, MPDesign said:

I went from a RTX 2070 8gig to the 4060 8gig and hardly noticed the difference. Maybe 5 seconds faster.

My build was from parts ordered from Newegg and totaled around $1900. If I recall the card was about 600 of that number. The price of cards is unreal! No wonder Nvidia is doing so well!

I have been tempted, to buy a used 4090 but don't really need/shouldn't spend $1700! :) 

Thank you guys for your input. I think I will sit tight right now on my computer build, and going to check out Google Meet right now. 

So this is what I have come up with. I like Google Meet, however, it does not allow to show a region of a screen/window. When I show my screen, zoom allows me to show a portion or a region of the screen. In this way I do not need to show my toolbars, but only the screen which will be larger for those viewing with smaller devices.

With "Region to share", https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9n4066w2r5q4?hl=en-US&gl=US - I can now use Google Meet and show only the portion of my window that I want. I also use Powertoys because I have a large monitor and can snap my windows/applications to screen regions that I set up. So I will give this a go and see how the computer performs in a video conference.

I avoid google, as it tries to use credentials, rather than allow one to log in with typed in credentials. I cant count the number of times I've been sent google links to my email, only to click on them, and cannot get in because google thinks I should be using some other gmail credentials.

MS teams used to have a similar problem, but I havent had any issues in the past couple years.

Zoom may be simple, but I've never been left out of a meeting.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

I avoid google, as it tries to use credentials, rather than allow one to log in with typed in credentials. I cant count the number of times I've been sent google links to my email, only to click on them, and cannot get in because google thinks I should be using some other gmail credentials.

MS teams used to have a similar problem, but I havent had any issues in the past couple years.

Zoom may be simple, but I've never been left out of a meeting.

I just set up google meet because I have an admin account. I will see how it goes before moving to MS. Thank you for your input.

3 hours ago, SHCanada2 said:

I've been sent google links to my email, only to click on them, and cannot get in because google thinks I should be using some other gmail credentials.

Each time this has happened to me it has been because the Sender did not give me Permission to View and Edit the File before sharing it..... for Regular Clients I have them make a  Dedicated Folder on GD and share that with me, not individual files , it works well , I think I pay $20/yr for a 100Gb  Plan as these days Google adds your Photos on the Free 15GB Data Allotment, so if you have an android Phone, that can really cut down on the Storage. Personally I don't use GD or OD as my only Backup of Data, I don't like how OneDrive is so intrusive in Win11 cos even with GB Internet it really slows things down.

M.

I Just tested Google Meet with a client and right from the start there was delay to my clicking around. She also said that my voice was breaking up. I stopped the meeting and met her on zoom and while things were still laggy at times (what I have been used to), she said my voice was very clear. So, onto the next video conference tool to test.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stevenyhof said:

I Just tested Google Meet with a client and right from the start there was delay to my clicking around. She also said that my voice was breaking up. I stopped the meeting and met he on zoom and while things we still laggy at times (what I have been used to), she said my voice was very clear. So, onto the next video conference tool to test.

not a fan of meet either. I use streamyard which is for more than just video conf calls. Also loom does a great job I hear and transcribes the entire meeting along with downloadable transcribed content with chapterization

26 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

not a fan of meet either. I use streamyard which is for more than just video conf calls. Also loom does a great job I hear and transcribes the entire meeting along with downloadable transcribed content with chapterization

Thank you, Rene! I left loom because it was doing funny things with my monitor setup and their controls, but I will look into Steamyard.

3 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I Just tested Google Meet with a client and right from the start there was delay to my clicking around. She also said that my voice was breaking up. I stopped the meeting and met her on zoom and while things were still laggy at times (what I have been used to), she said my voice was very clear. So, onto the next video conference tool to test.

There is way to many variables, to give up on any of them after 1 session, it may not even be Meet, it could be your or your client's ISP or perhaps slow WIFI, an Eth. cable direct to your router will almost always be faster and more stable too ( though it's getting closer these days with Wifi 6e and Now Wifi 7). 

Personally in the last 3 months I've only have trouble with Zoom, we switched to Teams which worked fine.

M.

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

There is way to many variables, to give up on any of them after 1 session, it may not even be Meet, it could be your or your client's ISP or perhaps slow WIFI, an Eth. cable direct to your router will almost always be faster and more stable too ( though it's getting closer these days with Wifi 6e and Now Wifi 7). 

Personally in the last 3 months I've only have trouble with Zoom, we switched to Teams which worked fine.

M.

Yes agree. After I closed the meeting and thought about it a while, I opened the plan back up and went back to the same areas, like the front elevation view and a section and both were sluggish in the same way. Some chief issue on those views. So it was something with the plan. However, the voice thing will need to be addresses. I may need to add an Eth card as the built in one is not working well so I'm on wifi where the modem is like 2 feet away from my computer. But I also have a networked modem situation from Verizon because one is in the house and the other in my office, connected to my garage. So there are surely some variables here.

Speaking on a chief issue, like with AutoCAD, is there a way to purge old and unused entities, etc. to make the file size smaller? Or a way to find out what is causing the change.

2 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

purge old and unused entities

You can purge several types of items; CAD blocks, Materials, Wall Types, Line Styles. Those are the items that come to mind.

Were you aware of these functions already?

19 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Were you aware of these functions already?

Now that you mention these, I do remember. I just haven't done it before so it did not come to mind. Hope my age isn't showing :unsure:

I will do this and let you know if it helps

Thank you 

I purged those things and it did not change. I am including the plan. It may be my molding I use around the house that is stone. I have a few region trim boards on the elevations, but I have that on a number of my homes. If you open the plan and open the front elevation and drag one of the region boards, or anything for that matter you will experience the lag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HpRKPxrJlsF4Ru_idKphKKWaS7_9JNVA/view?usp=sharing

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you

I purged those things and it did not change. I am including the plan. It may be my molding I use around the house that is stone. I have a few region trim boards on the elevations, but I have that on a number of my homes. If you open the plan and open the front elevation and drag one of the region boards, or anything for that matter you will experience the lag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HpRKPxrJlsF4Ru_idKphKKWaS7_9JNVA/view?usp=sharing

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you

Auto framing can slow things down (especially if a Schedule is used?)  as can Fills with huge numbers of CAD lines too.

M.

Thoughts anyone?

Thank you

just had to use zoom and shared my screen..abysmal performance..glad I dont use that anymore, haha

• Upvote 1