42% Of Chief Is Still Unknown To Me (Counting Layers)

4hotshoez

Out of 175 layers, some I have created, 74 have nothing on them, which is 42%. I would like to delete them but Chief will not allow it. And watching a video on creating a wall legend, it suggest that I create 3 more to control the legend's visibility for the small amount parts in it. There are too many layers now that are not being used now that require management. There must be a better way. Because every time I create a new layer, it needs to be updated in every layer set for what ever settings may or may not be needed for that layer set and added layer. 

I am leading up to a suggestion, but I want the users to have the chance to chime in here and set me straight.

It would be cool if Chief would only add pre-coded layers when an entity is added to the plan. So if I never create a framing plan, no framing layers should show. AND if some layers end up with nothing on them, hard wired or not, could be perged until Chief added them back in as needed. Although, this might create problems with Layer sets.

Todd,

Why do you want them eliminated?  What harm is there in having those Layers listed?

I've heard this request numerous times and so far no one has been able to give me a real good reason.  Maybe you can.

BTW, there are some settings for Layers in Preferences that might be of use to you.

More layers are more to manage and search through when I am looking for one that is on or off that should not be. Now, with X7 the list is on the side screen for ease, but requires more scrolling with more layers.

You can sort the layers by the used column but I really like the idea of a toggle button to show just them .  Then the list would grow as your plan developed.  This would probably work more or less how Todd was suggesting.

Another thing that I do is use the search bar for finding layers.  This is much better then scrolling to find things.

And lastly, I really like using the object layers.  Takes you right to the layer used by an object without having to look for anything.  This is only useful when the object is already selectable in your plan.

Interesting idea for Chief not to show layers until something is generated for that layer...   I almost never use the Framing layers either, or Sprinkler layers, Footing layers, most Text  or dimension layers, etc.  Maybe this could be something each user could tweak in a Preferences setting for their default plan - which layers show at the start.  So people like us who never use Framing or Sprinklers, could hide those, but show all Cabinet layers because we'll typically end up using those at some point.  But if we did generate framing layers, then they would appear.  And we could always access some toggle to show all layers, or maybe, show all layer groups.  Maybe Chief would have a couple of generic presets for which layers show for interiors, construction, landscaping, renderings, etc, that users could easily customize further.

I know I've requested something like layer groups in the past.  I'd also be happy to see something like the folder structure in the library where we could do some custom organizing to access the layers however we want. I would be happy to collapse all 25 Framing layers in X7 under a single heading "Framing" and then ignore them.  I also have a pile of custom layers too that relate to a couple topics such as Landscaping or Site, that I'd like to group in a similar manner. 

I do like the new ALDO, but I still use the full LDO too.  I also sort it by "used" and/or "displayed" layers at times, but neither of those things is quite the same as adding some sort of customizable hierarchy structure to the layer name list.  I would find that very helpful.  And I also like the idea of a toggle to show only used layers just because it's visually cleaner when you are trying to scan for something.

I know I've requested something like layer groups in the past.  I'd also be happy to see something like the folder structure in the library where we could do some custom organizing to access the layers however we want. I would be happy to collapse all 25 Framing layers in X7 under a single heading "Framing" and then ignore them.  I also have a pile of custom layers too that relate to a couple topics such as Landscaping or Site, that I'd like to group in a similar manner. 

Excellent idea Christina, Photoshop uses layer groups that allow you to control the whole group visibility with a single click and collapse the group to take up less screen space. Otherwise, Joe's idea to have a toggle in the Layer DBX to not show unused layers is pretty good. However, it might frustrate a new user who cannot find a layer and has not yet discovered the check box yet. But it is a simple solution.

The more I think about the layer groups as in the library the more I like it. It could create benefits that people have not yet realized and could change how Chief manages information for the better.

On layer groups, if the user is given the power to re-group any way that seems most useful to the user; consider layers for NEW and EXISTING, which could be two groups for organizing walls, doors, windows, cabinets, framing, etc. that are either new or existing.

As well as just grouping all terrain and collapsing it to a group named with a "Z" in front to place it to the bottom of the list if you never intend to create terrain.

Then creating a groups that shows only in 3D/2D or phases of construction. I realize this can currently be managed by layer sets, but this provides added control for different ways of working.

You can order the layers based on whether they are used or not (or if they are displayed or not), so that all used layers are at the top of the list.

It is easy to find a layer using the Name Filter. 

Glenn,  I thought this was really neat at first.  Order the layers alphabetically and then hit the display window the result is all the layers are listed alphabetically and the unused layers are at bottom and they are alphabetical.

But close the LDO and reopen,  and it is no longer in alphabetical order.  We should be able to have the used layers on top in alphabetical order and the unused layers in alphabetical order below.  Minor glitch.