Brick Coursing

NeilofOZ

Am undertaking a 3D design on a residential building but having issues on the brick courses, ie the layout of bricks are 18 courses high (300wx172h) to U/S of eaves, which in

Elevation View shows and correct, but the number of courses depicted in an Perspective Full Overview are only 9, but dimensions to ceiling heights in both views are correct??????

I can't upload the file as it fails every time. 

Is your elevation view a "vector view" and your full overview is using a "standard" render?  If so, then your problem is most likely that your pattern does not match your texture.  Vector views use patterns and render views use textures and if you want them to match you need to make them match in the define material dialog.

If you can't upload a file, it could be because you have it currently open in Chief.  Or maybe it is too big so you need to try making a zip file (compressed archive) of it or making a copy of it and deleting everything that has nothing to do with the problem.

DB, thanks for your comments, but it's still an issue for me as I have tried several avenues with out success.

Both "pattern" & "textures" are on the same sheet which i access under "wall types", under define i change the pattern by selection Red Brick then edit, so both Pattern & 

Texture, then set the brick dimensions and vary the shadings and joints  under Pattern, shift to the Texture page but there is no where on that page to set brick dimensions, but  i have checked "keep pattern/texture in sinc", which i assumed is what you are referring to.

I use Chief Architect as a hobby, helping family and close associates now that I have fully retired, but I need things explained in lot of cases, that is why I have stuck with Chief Architect and have attached my plan and as you said, the plan was open.    

House Plan.plan

6 hours ago, NeilofOZ said:

the Texture page but there is no where on that page to set brick dimensions

Yes there is:

45330314_ScreenShot2024-02-22at9_56_40AM.thumb.png.9bb6c0aca4a3299fbd5b7150f5f956fd.png

The picture of brick you see above is a static picture that doesn't change, but the size of the picture can be changed which scales the image and changes the apparent size of each brick in the rendering. As stated earlier, Patterns are used in Vector views, and Textures are used in rendered views such as Standard.

One method for verifying that your Patterns and Textures are synched is to open a Standard view and set it to display vector lines. This way both the texture and the pattern are displayed together, so you can evaluate if they're in sync / gauge adjustments.

Also, your model is using three different brick Materials, so it's difficult to know what exactly you're trying to achieve.

I think you found a bug.  It looks like the "keep in sync" doesn't quite work right in metric plans.  You should be able to turn off "keep in sync" and then adjust the pattern and/or texture so that they match though.  

Chris, to me nothing makes sense,

Where do the dimensioning of x/y scales come from under texture, have change these figures to reflect the brick size, but nothing happens.

In Define Materials under Pattern the grid pattern looks good ie 300w x 172h, but in the picture it's nothing like the grid, have turned on/off "Keep Pattern /Texture in Sinc"

nothing changes.

Have never encounted this phenomenon in past projects

On 2/24/2024 at 12:10 AM, NeilofOZ said:

Chris, to me nothing makes sense,

Where do the dimensioning of x/y scales come from under texture, have change these figures to reflect the brick size, but nothing happens.

In Define Materials under Pattern the grid pattern looks good ie 300w x 172h, but in the picture it's nothing like the grid, have turned on/off "Keep Pattern /Texture in Sinc"

nothing changes.

Have never encounted this phenomenon in past projects

Look again at the screen cap I posted earlier. The picture of brick is what the program uses to represent brick in raster (or Standard) renders, and is repeated - or tiled to fill the object it is for. In this example, this image of many bricks is 1875mm wide, with 4 bricks across. If your Pattern is 300w, then four bricks would be 1200mm and so you would change the size of the Picture of bricks to 1200w, and also adjust the height according to the same formula: you want each brick to be 172h and the picture contains 14 rows so 172 x 14 = 2408mm h. 

But again, it's difficult to troubleshoot since your model is using three different brick materials and you haven't indicated which one the problem - or your posts - pertains to...

OK, going to give it one more try, not worth in getting myself in a knot. 

Have attached two clips ( pattern & texure ), the texture clip exactly copies yours and you can see the pattern clip as well just to make sure I have it right. 

And just to confirm the brick dimensions, they are 300w x 172h and have multiplied these by four to give a picture size of 1200w x 688h.

Neither the Elevation or the Overview changes in any formats that I have attempted.    

Screenshot Pattern.png

Screenshot Texture.png

You can back into the correct size pattern and texture by trial an error.  In an elevation view, draw a brick the size you want.  In vector view, modify your pattern to be the size of the brick.  Then change to standard view and modify the texture to fit your CAD brick.  It's fiddly but works and will help with figuring offsets.  

10 hours ago, NeilofOZ said:

And just to confirm the brick dimensions, they are 300w x 172h and have multiplied these by four to give a picture size of 1200w x 688h.

You missed this part:

On 2/24/2024 at 1:02 PM, Chrisb222 said:

adjust the height according to the same formula: you want each brick to be 172h and the picture contains 14 rows so 172 x 14 = 2408mm h. 

You multiply the WIDTH x 4 because the image file contains 4 bricks in width. You multiply the HEIGHT by the number of rows in the image: 14 rows.

Look how squished down the bricks look in the example object to the right of your screenshots. The image needs to be made taller, 2408mm.

10 hours ago, NeilofOZ said:

Neither the Elevation or the Overview changes in any formats that I have attempted.    

On 2/24/2024 at 1:02 PM, Chrisb222 said:

But again, it's difficult to troubleshoot since your model is using three different brick materials and you haven't indicated which one the problem - or your posts - pertains to...

See below pattern & Texture pics which shows the dimensions and locations as per your previous comment, but nothing has changed, am just going to leave 

the coursings as they are it doesn't make much difference what size the bricks are visually, as long as the floor/ceiling heights are accurate, which they are. 

Am not sure where the "diffusion" came from, but don't know where it can deleted. 

Screenshot Red Brick Coursing PATTERN.png

Screenshot Red Brick Coursing TEXTURE.png

Use the rainbow tool on the correct material see what its name is then open walls that are wrong go to wall types tab on the top layer or outside layer change to the correct material that you seen with the rainbow tool

Also i notice that you were trying to get a pattern from a texture you should not need to do that with bricks a standard grid pattern is best to use

Hi @NeilofOZ, just looking above at the pattern settings and texture ratio need to be set separately.

With the texture you need to have a look and count the bricks in the x direction first.

4 and 1/2 bricks for example, allowing a 10mm mortar joint. 310 x 4.5 = 1395 set for the x direction. If there are 5 courses high for example, 182 x 5 = 910 set for the y direction. 

I just did it the other day and it worked fine. Did you download a texture swatch from the brick company ? If so create a new material using that swatch. Then count the bricks on the swatch and calculate as above. See this video on how to create a custom material.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/38/creating-custom-materials-and-colors.html

See how you go.