Wall Material ! Program Or Brain Glitch ?

jessde

Go to solution Solved by jessde,

X6  and struggling

I've never had  a problem with material or wall definitions but now from out of nowhere all my walls now have exterior siding on both exterior and interior surfaces. I've tried selecting each wall and redefining them and I've tried changing the defaults.

I've selected them in all views and whenever I find a way to redefine them I have.Can't imagine what caused the change.

Have I just gone brain dead from staring at this screen or do I have a glitch here?

I have one rule, and that is, never paint walls.

So Perry, how do you approach changing the wall surfaces (paint colors, for example)?

Here is a follow-up question: Select a room and go to Materials, Walls and change the color, for example. The change shows up in a camera view. Good so far. Now go back to plan view and select one of the walls in that room and go the Materials, Interior Wall Surface and it does not reflect the change that was just made in the Room dbx, but instead shows the color of the walls before the change. Why?

Because you painted the "room" not the "Wall".  There is a hierarchy in materials application and definition.

Structure>Room Walls>Room, Wall Covering>Wall (Int & Ext)>Wall, Wall Covering>Wall Material Region.

You can apply a material to any and all of these "Surfaces"--either intentionally, or not--with varying degrees of z-fighting madness.  Or, you can learn the benefits and detractors of each and be a happy camper.

jon

So Perry, how do you approach changing the wall surfaces (paint colors, for example)?

Use a "Wall Material Region" (single Layer) that doesn't cut the finish layers of the wall.  You can save these in the Library and then just click on the wall you want to add the material to.  It will cover the wall you click only - not the whole room.

Jon: So what is the short answer regarding making changes to wall surfaces (color to keep it simple). Where's the best place to make this change?  And then I would be interested to know what are the pluses and minus of making the change in each level of this hierarchy? Where can that information be found?

Joseph: I was just reading one of your post in Suggestions regarding Material Regions being used in this way. I think it is interesting and I have begun to play around with it. I especially like the fact that the Floor Material Region will automatically cut halfway into the doorways. Btw, do these regions get added to the materials list?

Thanks!

Joseph: I was just reading one of your post in Suggestions regarding Material Regions being used in this way. I think it is interesting and I have begun to play around with it. I especially like the fact that the Floor Material Region will automatically cut half way into the doorways. Btw, do these regions get added to the materials list?

Thanks!

Yes, Material Regions are in the Materials List.

Ok just to clarify things I did not paint anything yet. I specified wall finishes in the defaults when i drew them and they remained as defined until they didn't  :). I guess I could've inadvertenly  changed it somehow but I honestly don't know how that could have happened. The fact that I can't now change the finish at all leads me to believe there is a problem other than me.

I have tried defining by room, by default settings and by selecting walls in every view. Each time the definitions are correct but does not change to the finish shown .

I will play with. the material region as Jon suggests and which I'm not familiar with .

Thanks again for everyones efforts .

J

Post the plan & RTM.  As convoluted as the manual can seem, study: walls, rooms, wall materials, and wall material regions.  Oh, and post the plan (in case it hasn't been mentioned)

And, if you want paint, wallpaper, etc. to show in the ML, then you must give it a dimensional layer in the wall definition, or use an accurately defined WMR (Wall Material Region).

jon

One way to to return your wall(s) to the default materials is to use the Material Painter, even if you did not use that tool to change them in the first place. You can see how to do that here:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00586/8/Chief-Architect/Materials/Restoring-Wall-Materials-Changed-Using-the-Material-Painter.html

Open a Perspective Floor Overview so you can see the problem wall(s). Next select the Material Painter tool from the toolbar (or go to 3D - Material Painter) and in the lower left corner of the dbx that comes up check "Use default material." Now paint the problem wall(s) and it should return to the default material. It is possible to make more than one change to a wall surface, in that case there will be more than one layer of change to undo; just keep clicking on the wall until the default material appears.

Hope this helps.

I suppose one could add a 1/16" thick paint layer to each wall definition they have.

Yes, but it's easier to have 1/32" thick Material Regions saved in your user Library and just apply that to the wall(s).  You can have as many paint colors, wallpaper coverings, etc saved in the Library and you would have a lot less Wall Types.

Jon,

I've not been able to create anything less than 1/32" thick for a Material Region.  OTOH, considering Drywall Corner Beads, Tape, Joint Compound, Texture & Paint all together 1/32" isn't a stretch for what it does to the overall thickness of a wall.