Scaling on layout , Linear scale bar

MarkDi

Setting the label to "specified text"  - %scale%

image.thumb.png.fc509d239a267d42ddbc4d4b6c75d41e.png

gives a dynamic scale based on the screen image size  not of the drawing image

image.thumb.png.b3316a2240071cfaba68c04b08a1710b.png

Is there a setting to fix this to actual scale, rather than these strange factions ?

Scale of drawings set to 500m = 1m

Are there any METRIC scale bars for 1:500 and 1:100 ?

Thanks

Mark

• MarkDi changed the title to Scaling on layout , Linear scale bar

When you send a drawing to layout, you will have the opportunity to add the scale factor of the drawing in the drawing's label. This can be set as a default for layout box labels so that each drawing always displays the correct drawing scale. 

The following video may help you and if I understand your question accurately, the most helpful information starts around the 20 minute mark of the video.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/48/creating-layouts-and-construction-documents.html

If you are using %scale% in your plan, what it shows on the screen is going to change depending on your zoom but it should show the actual scale when printed or saved as a pdf.  Try a pdf and make sure it shows what you want.  If it doesn't, then you might have a problem with your page setup.

If you want to show the scale for a layout box, you can also use %box_scale% as part of the label.

10 hours ago, MarkDi said:

Setting the label to "specified text"  - %scale%

Are you trying to set the size of your text with that?

Because that’s not what that dialogue box is for. 
It just returns whatever value the plan file has set for the scale at that zoom extant. 

Look up videos on setting print size in Layout. 

Chief has an arcane system for this so don’t get your hopes up. It’s a mess. 

Also, Americans see nothing wrong with 1-17/32 = 1 as a scale…. lol 

What I hope for in the future is that we could click on screen for a zoom level of 100%. So we can see what the printer size would be.

As it stand you have to print to pdf first, then View Actual Size in order to know what your print will look like. 

As a result even the, Show Line Weights, is pretty useless as you never really know if your looking at 100% zoom or 110% or 87%.

It’s ridiculous. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for some clues, I will try the suggestions.

Looks like %scale% and zoom are linked 

In the PLAN view

Print size is set to ISO A4

Undo zoom

Gives scale 123/128m = 500m, close but should be 1 ? as scale set to 1:500

However not always consistent

61/64m = 500m

25/32m = 500m

etc

Using Chief Architect Premier X13

As @DBCoopersaid before, yes %scale% will adjust as you zoom, but it will print what the printed scale is.

Just ignore that it looks wrong on the Layout, once its printed it should be right.

%box_scale% will always report the scale of the layout box itself, but I think that was a recent addition, I don't think X13 has that.

17 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

%box_scale% will always report the scale of the layout box itself, but I think that was a recent addition, I don't think X13 has that.

%box_scale% has been in the program for at least 15 years.

Graphic Bar Scales should always be placed in the plan views sent to Layout.  That way they will always be correct in the Layout. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

%box_scale% has been in the program for at least 15 years.

Well, I would assume you'd know better than most! I stand humbly corrected.

I must have been conflating the relatively new Layout label "Use Callout" option which uses %box_scale%.

Maybe time for another cup o' tea...