DaniellaZV

Hello CA forum, 

I'm a new user (legit less than 24hours) and I'm currently following along the recorded webinar for kitchen & bath bootcamp but I'm stuck. He is adding hardware to a cabinet and I'm following EVERY step he's doing but when I place my cabinet hardware they keep placing horizontal. Again I've followed every step and can't figure out why mine does not look like his... HELPPP

Screenshot 1 is mine 

Screenshot 2 is the instructors 

In the video they automatically dropped as the top being horizontal and the bottom being vertical. Mine automatically place as both horizontal. 

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

I noted that the webinar video was done using X14 and can confirm that the hardware app works differently X14 vs X15.  In 14, there is one choice only for the Moderno bar pull, and when used with paint in object mode, correctly orients the pull on the door (vertically), while the same one-click action places one horizontally on the drawerfront.

X15 is changed, in that there are multiple choices in the bonus library for the Moderna bar pull.  One is called Moderno Handle and the other is called Moderno Bar Pull.  I can see no difference in either the 3D model, or the result one gets applying it to a cabinet in object mode.

In X15, I get the same result as @DaniellaZV.  The Moderna hardware (either one) goes on the drawerfront correctly, bar horizontal, but incorrectly on the door.  See her post #1 above.  The door pull needs to be edited, first to rotate it, next to adjust height.  I edited both height and horizontal placement, the horizontal edit to place it at center of stile.

So the answer to Daniella's dilemma is, Chief changed the app X14 to X15, no explanation given, but that the tools are there to make the hardware work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

In X15, I get the same result as @DaniellaZV.  The Moderna hardware (either one) goes on the drawerfront correctly, bar horizontal, but incorrectly on the door.  See her post #1 above.  The door pull needs to be edited, first to rotate it, next to adjust height.  I edited both height and horizontal placement, the horizontal edit to place it at center of stile.

So the answer to Daniella's dilemma is, Chief changed the app X14 to X15, no explanation given, but that the tools are there to make the hardware work.

Wow, you are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to check it out I'm glad to know I wasn't crazy because I was following all the steps to the T so it makes sense that it was the difference in X14 v 15 settings :o It turns out that all the cabinet pulls hardware in the 'Cabinet Hardware 1' places correctly with horizontal/vertical positions when using the paint in object mode but ALL of the cabinet pulls in 'Cabinet Hardware 2' place only automatically horizontally... ? I wonder if that's a glitch... because the pulls in Cabinet Hardware 1 place correctly so it doesn't make sense. 

While I am still really new... It'll take me some time to figure out how to actually execute your suggestion of the door pull but thank you! I continued on with the boot camp video by choosing a different hardware that placed correctly. 

Screenshot 4.png

Gene is right that X14 and X15 are different in this area.  In X15, you can actually resize and rotate the door/drawer handle.  If you click on the "Edit" button that is just to the right of the "Library" button, it will open up a new dialog box with controls for the size and rotation that are just for either the door handle or drawer handle.

There is a big gotcha though.  You can either control the "main" door/drawer settings or you can control it for just one particular door/drawer. 

To change it for the whole cabinet, you should change the "main" settings on the Door/Drawer page but if any of your individual door/drawer face items are not set to "use default" they won't actually change because they are overriding the "main" settings. 

To change it for an individual door/drawer, you have to first select the face item and then use the "Specify" button next to the "Appliance/Door/Drawer".  Then you can either change the setting there or just set it to "use default" and it will then use the "main" settings.

Hope this helps.

main door settings.jpg

individual door settings.jpg

• Like 1

In X15 with the pull on the door horizontal, but you want it vertical, go to the door/drawer panel in the cabinet spec dialog (you've been there and drew a red arrow).

See the EDIT button, to the right of the LIBRARY button?  Click it and study the panel.  You'll see how you can edit the handle's rotation.  Rotate it + or - 90 degrees.  Either works since the pull is symmetrical.

Click OK and the panel closes.  Now in the panel, in the door handle segment, see how you have control of the vertical and horizontal placement of the handle.  You can accept the default, you can center it, or you can define your position by an offset distance.  Full control.  Play with it until you understand it, and position the pull where you think it best goes.

It is interesting how Chief changed this operation from X14 when doing X15.  For some unknown reason, they had pulls shaped other than round rotating properly when painted to doors.  Now they don't perform that rotation step but let you rotate manually, and rotate to any angle you input.  I guess this gives more user control for pulls like twigs and antlers, pulls that are linear in that there are two fixing screw posts, but asymmetrical.

Edit:  I am attaching a pic of a twig pull, one that looks different when upright as shown but rotated 180 degrees.  We have full control over such assymetrical pulls as this, now.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 202946.png

• Like 1

An oddity here is that rotating a pull in the main "Door/Drawer" tab of the DBX has no effect. It must be done from the "Front/Side/Back" panel.

image.thumb.png.0bf9a50e44da1e300b0a36277d31645a.png

Front side back panel below

image.thumb.png.c35f86f07f13020fe6463cc43cb3002e.png

@DaniellaZV once you have one cabinet you are happy with make a style palette that only uses the hardware. Then you can paint other cabinets with it. (sample attached)

Hardware only SP.calibz

An oddity here is that rotating a pull in the main "Door/Drawer" tab of the DBX has no effect. It must be done from the "Front/Side/Back" panel.

This is probably because your face item is not set to "use default".  If you "paint" the pull from the library onto the cabinet, it will change the face item so that it is not "use default" anymore.  If you change the pull on the "Door/Drawer" tab instead, you can then use the "Edit" button there to rotate it.

Hardware works the same way that door and drawer fronts work.  You can either change the "main" style for the whole cabinet or just for a single face item.

1 hour ago, MarkMc said:

@DaniellaZV once you have one cabinet you are happy with make a style palette that only uses the hardware. Then you can paint other cabinets with it. (sample attached)

Hardware only SP.calibz 254.65 kB · 0 downloads

Hi Mark! 

So... Just a tiny heads up (if it wasn't very obvious from this post lol) - that I am about 5 days into using CA :lol: that being said I see you attached a sample but I truly don't know the steps I am supposed to even take in order to view what you've so kindly provided for me!

On 12/21/2023 at 11:45 AM, DBCooper said:

If you "paint" the pull from the library onto the cabinet,

I believe that is where this thread started.

On 12/21/2023 at 12:21 PM, DaniellaZV said:

I see you attached a sample but I truly don't know the steps I am supposed to even take in order to view what you've so kindly provided for me!

It is a library containing one Style Palette named "    Hardware" , import it into chief (name has spaces to start so it ends up at the top of the user library). Once in library select it and click on a base cabinet it will paint the attributes onto the cabinet similar to dropping hardware on....see what it does. Then go back to the object in the library, right click it, open object, click the gear symbol (set properties), when that opens select "Help" or hit the F1 key.

When in doubt (even when not) open all dialog boxes (DBX) and or go to Help (F1) That way you'll be up and running in not time (though some Chief training is worth every penny :)