Need help with raised roof

dcook627

Greetings Colleagues,

First time poster, here. I've been using Chief for many years, but I'm just coming back from having several years off and I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty.

I have two clients who are both wanting this type of raised roof and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make Chief do it. I've made a mess of both roofs trying it. Can anyone help me?

IMG_1747.HEIC

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

David Cook

Master Plan Drafting, Inc.

Indianapolis, IN, USA

Chief Architect Premier X15

Alienware x17 R1

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
64.0GB RAM

64-bit Operating System, Windows 11 Home

Looking at this pic I'd think that would be essentially a giant manual dormer, sort of. It's a pretty specific style so I doubt Chief will have anything on exactly that but you could certainly use a lot of the same Manual Dormer techniques. https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1521/manually-drawing-dormers.html?playlist=95

I find most dormer tutorials talk about using roof Holes, but because the raised roof appears to straddle the lower one, you'd want to break and pull the larger, lower roof plane's ridge edge down to create a large opening where you could then draw the Exterior walls inside of, then manually draw roof planes as needed.

As Eric did, think it through, take your time,  maybe use Chief's excellent CAD tools to do a cross section study to determine the mix of pitches and wall (room) heights, then draw the walls and specify their roof-spring details.  Then click build all roofs.

That image of the front elevation can be used with CAD.  Paste it in, scale it, and get to work.

Looks to me like that upper center roof mass is a cross-gable, both ridges same height, looks like a cruciform from the drone's eye.  

20 hours ago, dcook627 said:

Greetings Colleagues,

First time poster, here. I've been using Chief for many years, but I'm just coming back from having several years off and I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty.

I have two clients who are both wanting this type of raised roof and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make Chief do it. I've made a mess of both roofs trying it. Can anyone help me?

IMG_1747.HEIC 186.3 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

David Cook

Master Plan Drafting, Inc.

Indianapolis, IN, USA

Chief Architect Premier X15

Alienware x17 R1

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
64.0GB RAM

64-bit Operating System, Windows 11 Home

I would offer to help on this as I am the one that assisted the original designer of this house to get the roof correct but that would be violation of design copyright infringement…. Perhaps you have permissions from that designer to copy their plan?

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

I would offer to help on this as I am the one that assisted the original designer of this house to get the roof correct but that would be violation of design copyright infringement…. Perhaps you have permissions from that designer to copy their plan?

@rgardner

Hi Ryan,

I'm not actually copying that plan at all. That's just the roof that they want and I just found the first example I could to send. Sorry for any confusion. That said, I can't even find who the designer is on that website. Does it say somewhere who it is?

Thanks,

David

21 hours ago, solver said:

Probably. What's the problem?

Auto roof.

1722692797_ct1.thumb.png.41ca5ce695da46451389c5ecd763aa31.png

@solver Eric, that's impressive. Clearly I don't have a great grasp on the automatic roof tools. I've watched several of the videos, but I haven't seen something exactly like this to try to replicate. Would you be willing to share some of what you did to get it to automatically generate that roof? I would be terribly grateful. I'm really struggling with this one.

David

The main thing to remember with Auto Roofs is that the roofs are built over Rooms, and their heights are set off ceilings.

Temporarily setting ceiling heights is often the key to get the auto roofs to work right.

The most simple example of what you're aiming for though is simply this:

image.thumb.png.949636316ed55128da258732dbc53f00.png

All exterior walls w/ siding facing outward, all four vertical walls set to Full Gable roof.

Raise the middle room's ceiling and Auto build roof. The inner walls build up to create the inset gables.

image.thumb.png.a06eb5a6d4b04734eccfa3a52fa08857.png

Simple!

Kind of.

There's more that needs to be done, but there's a lot of resources on roofs, both manual and automatic.

Wow I didn't see anyone say anything about copying someone's plan. And it's not infringement to get inspiration from other work. :rolleyes:

A simple plan done in 10 mins entirely with auto roofs, and different ceiling heights and some other tweaks. It's really hard to say what would be the best approach without knowing the goals of the floor plan, interior ceilings, and whether there's a livable second floor. But take a look at this plan to see how it was done. Could also be easily done with manual roofs. Let me know if you have any questions.

1.thumb.png.744a528ca588d3a94918172cbc0c4779.png

2.thumb.png.debf47dc7689c38fd0bd342ce8407a8e.png

raised roof.plan.zip

( Oh btw it is copyrighted :P  )

raised roof.plan

• Like 1