Elevations - First and Second Floor Material Overlap

DRyeHD

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

Most of the time, on a 2-story home, when I do an elevation view the materials overlap (see attached).  Do I have a setting wrong somewhere?  What would be causing this?  I've learned not to adjust autogenerated walls, so I'm trying to find the right way to fix this.  Any input is appreciated.

FrtElev.png

Siding always covers floor framing for whatever floor or floors you view in an elevation.  If you are getting some double line at your ceiling / floor junctures, you are doing something wrong.

I opened a new plan, did walls for a two floor box house with board and batten siding, clicked to get auto storypole, and look what I got.

Screenshot 2023-08-24 110931.png

3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Siding always covers floor framing for whatever floor or floors you view in an elevation.  If you are getting some double line at your ceiling / floor junctures, you are doing something wrong.

I opened a new plan, did walls for a two floor box house with board and batten siding, clicked to get auto storypole, and look what I got.

Screenshot 2023-08-24 110931.png

I guess I need to go back and check some things.  My overlap is 1 1/4" which is the thickness of my 2nd floor subfloor.  I added the subfloor after I created the elevation section view.  Do you think this would create the double line?

I just added a second subfloor layer to my floor 2 floor structure.  Formerly it was 9.5 inch joist with 3/4 subfloor total 10-1/4.  The elevation now shows 11 inches between and there is no pair of lines there 3/4 apart.

Why would you add a subfloor atop a subfloor?

Hey Damon, you also haven't corrected the thickness of the flooring in the Kitchen. Open to Room Spec for the Kitchen, Define the floor finish to use the default, and make sure the default is checked in the structure tab.

Nice looking place, by the way!

image.thumb.png.a1b871923e7fc86d7919c061a54ad2d3.png

16 hours ago, robdyck said:

Select the lower wall, Structure Tab, Click Default wall top height

image.thumb.png.51d7175ab055182568ccb384a384012e.png

@robdyck it seems that many of my issues are easy fixes.  I've set up a new construction template but it always seems like I mess it up somehow.  Just like the kitchen floor - I've tried to go room by room and set the defaults but I obviously missed that.  I keep a running list of update items but I never seem to get it all done.  I don't know about your area, but this type of house is really popular around here these days.  I'm glad you like it...nice PBR.

@TeaTime I'll keep your method in mind when I need a more drastic reset.  This plan has 9', 10' and open ceilings so I didn't want to reset the whole floor.

Anyway, thanks for both of your input.  I'll be keeping these items in mind when this happens again...which I'm sure it will!  Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

This plan has 9', 10' and open ceilings so I didn't want to reset the whole floor.

If you only reset the "wall top heights" and "wall bottom heights" it won't change any of your floor or ceiling heights.  Basically, it will only reset your walls back to default heights when you have manually moved the wall top/bottom up/down (which is something you usually don't need to do to change your ceiling heights).

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

you have manually moved the wall top/bottom up/down (which is something you usually don't need to do to change your ceiling heights).

^^ exactly this - avoid yankin your walls around in camera views and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Generally speaking, the program knows how to do walls better than we do.

8 hours ago, DBCooper said:

If you only reset the "wall top heights" and "wall bottom heights" it won't change any of your floor or ceiling heights.  Basically, it will only reset your walls back to default heights when you have manually moved the wall top/bottom up/down (which is something you usually don't need to do to change your ceiling heights).

That's good to know.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, TeaTime said:

^^ exactly this - avoid yankin your walls around in camera views and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches. Generally speaking, the program knows how to do walls better than we do.

I'm learning that...the hard way.  I just still don't know all the ins and outs of adjusting things the right way.  You all have been helpful though.