Looking for interior elevation layout process

DRyeHD

Since I've been using CA, I've been placing interior elevations (wall elevations) one at a time on the layout page and lining them up with CAD lines.  When you've got 20+ elevations, it takes a while.  I'm just wondering if there is a more efficient way to do this?  If so, I'd like to hear others' process.

You could set up the elevations in your template plan and template layout plan.  That way they are already present in the layout.  When you start a new plan from template, drag your cameras to the locations you want.  You'll still have to adjust the width of some layout boxes, but it'll be a good start.

You can also copy/paste cameras and relink now so you can copy/paste template cameras to a non-template plan, and relink.

I also do this with details.  It saves some time.

12 hours ago, DRyeHD said:

Since I've been using CA, I've been placing interior elevations (wall elevations) one at a time on the layout page and lining them up with CAD lines.  When you've got 20+ elevations, it takes a while.  I'm just wondering if there is a more efficient way to do this?  If so, I'd like to hear others' process.

I send elevations as Plot Lines, which can be accurately aligned using the Point to Point Move tool. Since the view is basically CAD, all of the CAD lines are snappable.

Doesn't work as well if you send to layout as Live View, but you can still use PtPM, just have to position the tool visually since you won't have snaps.

I use a custom sheet size for my Interior Elevations.  Typically 4" tall x 7-1/2" wide with a corresponding CAD Box (invisible linestyle)

When I send the view to layout it's automatically that size and will snap to other layout boxes.  The Layout Box can be resized if needed but I only need to do that for the width in most cases.

I also have a default set for my layout boxes so they are labeled to match the project browser name.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:48 PM, GeneDavis said:

Use grid and snaps in layout?  Adjust grid size as needed in defaults.

I hadn't used the grid on a layout page.  That does make lining up the layout boxes easier.  Thanks for the tip.

On 7/18/2023 at 7:46 AM, MoeGia said:

You could set up the elevations in your template plan and template layout plan.  That way they are already present in the layout.  When you start a new plan from template, drag your cameras to the locations you want.  You'll still have to adjust the width of some layout boxes, but it'll be a good start.

You can also copy/paste cameras and relink now so you can copy/paste template cameras to a non-template plan, and relink.

I also do this with details.  It saves some time.

I'll have to experiment with the wall section templates.  I don't have any walls on my new construction template right now so I'll have to try this out.  Thanks for the input.

On 7/18/2023 at 8:55 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

I use a custom sheet size for my Interior Elevations.  Typically 4" tall x 7-1/2" wide with a corresponding CAD Box (invisible linestyle)

When I send the view to layout it's automatically that size and will snap to other layout boxes.  The Layout Box can be resized if needed but I only need to do that for the width in most cases.

I also have a default set for my layout boxes so they are labeled to match the project browser name.

I think I follow what you have explained.  I may try that.  Thanks.

On 7/18/2023 at 8:30 AM, Chrisb222 said:

I send elevations as Plot Lines, which can be accurately aligned using the Point to Point Move tool. Since the view is basically CAD, all of the CAD lines are snappable.

Doesn't work as well if you send to layout as Live View, but you can still use PtPM, just have to position the tool visually since you won't have snaps.

I use plot lines as well and do similar to what you describe.  The layout grid that @GeneDavis suggests, definitely helps line the layout boxes up.