Multi-Select Symbols

RobUSMC

No, you can only modify one library symbol at a time.   It would be difficult for CA to provide for editing multiple objects due to the fact that they might not have the same set of parameters.

IAE, there's no setting for the Layer Set - only the Layer.  

1 hour ago, DBCooper said:

Have any of you guys tried it?  Seems to work for me.

It will work if the objects are the same type, but if you select even one that isn't the same it doesn't work.  example:

• Garage Door
  • Doorway

That doesn't work.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it seems to depend on the object types.  Just like using "open object" on objects selected in a plan.  Some things can be opened together and some can't.

They don't always need to be the exact same type though.  For example, I can select a hinge, a chair, and a dishwasher and I can still use open object.  If I include an electrical object with them, then I can't.  But if they are all electrical objects, even if one is a switch and another is a light, I can open them.  I can also select a "garage door" and a "doorway" as long as they are both door objects or both door panel symbols but not if you mix them together.

Clear as mud?

It's taken a bit of time butworthiton the end to make sure the symbols we use a lot are on the correct layer with correct text, labels, and materials.  I created a new plan and dropped all the symbols into a large room. There I could multi select the and change the layer and the label type and position. With open object change the 2D block as needed. Then open each one and edit the materials. Once done, multi select again and add back to the library. Select the original one from the library and cut and paste the new ones back into those folders.  Will save time when it comes to layouts.  I created several large empty rooms. One was for just electrical fixtures one for plumbing, HVAC,  furnishing and furniture and so on.  

On 6/8/2023 at 7:49 AM, RobUSMC said:

Is there a way to select multiple symbols in the library and change the layer set for all of them. They would all be changed to the same layer set.

As others have shown to multiselect it has to have similar characteristics.  However are you aware of the layer eyedropper and layer painter tools?  It is quite fast to select an item on the proper layer you want and "paint" the other items albeit one by one but quickly.  Alternative is you can select the layer painter tool directly which will allow you to set the layer you want.  For an example if that layer is turned off in your SPV you are viewing then you can go through and put the items you don't want to see on that layer.  Lots of plans that I see have imported symbols from 3d warehouse and/or made in sketchup on furniture or interior fixture layers for example when they should really be on the electrical layer.  This allows me to go through on a non electrical layer showing view and click off the ones that need to be moved and they will "disappear" as I select them since the electrical layer is turned off and I can make sure I get all of the symbols converted that way.