Resizing Rev-A-Shelf Items

RobUSMC

I have found a few RAS pullout units with the correct materials versus the ones in CA library, (Single and double trash, spice, utensil and a few others), imported them and they will insert into a cabinet fine but when I change the width of the cabinet the unit does not widen with it. This actually imported as a CAD block.  I figure its something to do with stretch planes but that is beyond my skills with SU.  Is there another way or a site where I can download the symbols that will work?  Thanks... Rob

Trash Pullout Unit.png

The ones in the Chief library all seem to stretch just fine without any stretch planes.  They stretch uniformly though which may not give you a very accurate representation of the actual pullout you will use (or one you can actually buy).

My guess is that you have done something wrong setting up the symbol you imported.  I would compare the settings with one of Chief's to see what is different.  Or, if you want someone to be able to help more, you will probably need to post a plan.

rev a shelf.png

• Upvote 1

The issue with the ones in the library is they don't have the correct materials. There is only one material like the trashcan. Instead of the can being white and the rollout frame aluminum  or chrome it is all wood or all chrome unlike the one I attached in the post above. The spice is all wood when the actual unit is wood but the shelf rails are chrome.  see below

Spice.png

I think the REV-a Shelf Library for Chief was "Batch" converted , hence the material assignments aren't Real World and there is no easy way to fix them, unfortunately someone thinks that is "good enough as it only used for the Schedule and Ordering" , but Clients do actually like to see this stuff Chief Architect.

Post a Sample plan with the offending symbols so Others can have a play if you can't figure it out......  @MarkMc  can likely help..........

Mick.

6 hours ago, DBCooper said:

The ones in the Chief library all seem to stretch just fine without any stretch planes.  They stretch uniformly though which may not give you a very accurate representation of

the back face item acts completely different from a millwork shelf, try it out. :)

17 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

@MarkMc  can likely help..

Well, maybe.

I hack the library ones to be able to alter materials using delete surface tool which I mentioned the last time RAS came up.

NOTE if you need trash pails without a lid that show open top- many can't be done with delete surface. Use the "Single Bottom Mount Rev-A-Motion" ones. Make one pail then adjust and reuse as needed. 

I set RAS items to NOT resize. They come in specific sizes, make those.

Stretch Planes.

When I needed to learn about stretch planes and zones I printed out the pages from the PDF Reference Manual (or can use Help but I like having the page numbers).

There are two sections bookmarked in the PDF : "Editing Symbol Objects", and "Symbol Object Specification Dialogs"; total of 20 pages to print.

I played with a few symbols in a new plan to see what different settings did.  Then kept the half dozen or so most important pages handy.

NOTE: Be sure to use  generate block if you had to rotate the symbol with the 3D panel in the DBX

After a while I needed to learn more about bounding boxes so used those pages and played again as they are a bit trickier.

Between reading and playing around it likely takes about...

To understand Stretch planes- 1- 2 hours but getting proficient will be over time using them. IMO this is the single most useful thing to learn about symbols.

2 hours to learn delete surface (start setting the smoothing angle very high -at least over 90 and up to 170). Mistakes are a bit frustrating at first. Eventually can do a RAS symbol in minutes.

Bounding boxes (more advanced give that a while.) 2 hrs