How to raise roof and add 2x6 plate on top of ceiling joists.

DougDM

As-Built, HIp Roof, 8' ceiling. Roof has an 18" soffit (6 on 12). They built the roof (rafters sitting on a plate on top of ceiling joists not on wall plates). We've done this many times.  So how do I get CA to do this?  See Section below, This is what I'm trying to replicate. i would imaging adding a second floor, remove ceiling and floor surface, etc.,etc.. How say you...Better options. I'm fine with just the cad drawing, But I would like to see it in 3D framing.

Thanks,

Doug

RAISED ROOF 2023-04-12_10-47-12.jpg

Ryan's way is faster than mine, so proceed, but remember to set floor joists as lumber, and I think you will still have to manually draw that plate on which the rafters bear.

Change the wall type for the second floor to not have an inside layer of sheetrock.  Change the specs for the second floor "room" (which is the actual attic) to not have a base molding.  Draw that plate using General Framing.  

Doing it the way I first suggested might be almost as fast, because you don't have to draw a second floor, mess with wall specs to delete the sheetrock in the "attic," or delete the base molding in the "attic."  All you have to do is raise the roof and draw the edge framing, plus edit the ceiling joists.

18 hours ago, rgardner said:

Build the 2nd floor with no flat ceiling or ceiling finish material, 1.5" ceiling height and a 2x6 floor structure without sheathing and no floor finish.  Done.

Thanks Ryan, confirmed my thoughts exactly...now off to do it, appreciate your response. If I have time I'll post a 3D framing pic.

Thanks once again.

Doug

18 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Ryan's way is faster than mine, so proceed, but remember to set floor joists as lumber, and I think you will still have to manually draw that plate on which the rafters bear.

Change the wall type for the second floor to not have an inside layer of sheetrock.  Change the specs for the second floor "room" (which is the actual attic) to not have a base molding.  Draw that plate using General Framing.  

Doing it the way I first suggested might be almost as fast, because you don't have to draw a second floor, mess with wall specs to delete the sheetrock in the "attic," or delete the base molding in the "attic."  All you have to do is raise the roof and draw the edge framing, plus edit the ceiling joists.

Hi Gene, thanks for the additional points.

Doug

19 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Manually raise the roof, manually draw in the framing, edit to your satisfaction, take a live section view.  Chief won't autoframe those two members.

Hey Gene, made a back-up of plan and did exactly what you mention. How I got the base Cad drawing I show with a couple modifications. Then I said to myself why not just treat is like a second floor (as Ryan suggests) seems to have worked. Hopefully I'll post a section and 3D framing when able. 

Thank you for all responses.

Doug

29 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Nope.  If you frame the wall it should show up as a single plate

Will it though? It's a good idea and I've been playing with this, but I can't get the plate to show up if the ceiling ht is less than 2.6" which of course produces wall studs... At 1.5" the plate disappears:

1338214612_ScreenShot2023-04-13at4_48_22PM.thumb.png.c674033e2a6362ef191a9c1fe73ba9c7.png

580230915_ScreenShot2023-04-13at4_51_47PM.thumb.png.17996db5f17954104365dec022c84b2b.png

700010022_ScreenShot2023-04-13at4_56_43PM.thumb.png.4b74d4c0b5d87072ccb4e624c600e678.png