X15 Physically Based Video Performance

Chief_Id

Go to solution Solved by BrianBeck,

Downloaded and installed X15 Beta and opened a file I'm currently working on. When using Physically Based full camera rendering there is now significant latency when panning the camera. No latency issues doing same views in X14. When I try to pan the camera and release the mouse nothing happens for 4-5 seconds then the view starts to move. It will continue to move for roughly another 10 seconds before it stops and the status bar shows Finished Rendering. This happens if I do a small movement, where I only move the mouse a small distance, or a larger movement where I move the mouse a couple a couple inches. Video drivers are up to date and the screen size is 1644x694. View contains 1,162,283 surfaces.

image.png.7d27b53b52b2568a450e7bf95a5a53bf.png

image.png.3011bc765a48492623f1dde7cec43f02.png

image.png.e5dec4bf18d8d8127c11cc6202b276b5.png

That is an older Quadro card that doesn't support ray tracing, so I don't think making Scott's suggested change will have much of an effect.

My guess is if something go slower it will be on all cards and not just this one.  We have not seen any issues like this up to this point, so there is also the possibility that something your plan is causing the slowness.  So if you could send this plan into us, preferably the X14 version of the plan we can take a look and see if we can discover and reason why the performance has decreased.  You can send it in to support here:  https://support.chiefarchitect.com/

Thanks 

12 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

I see this on my options, been never really understood why it should be checked, and if it needs to be, why the option?

Michael, the 'cap live samples' will stop the rendering passes after it reaches your export number. Typically 30 is a good export number; but the higher the passes the better up to a point of diminishing returns.  Here’s the info from help:

• When Cap Live Samples is unchecked, a GPU Ray Traced view will run samples indefinitely. Check this box to instead stop running samples when the Maximum Export Samples value is reached.

• Solution

File uploaded to support for evaluation.

Thanks Chief ID.

I took a look at the your plan and was able to reproduce the issue.  The problem is caused by the Sun Follows Camera setting.  So for now if you turn that setting off your views should work at the same speed as X14.  We will look into the cause of the issue in X15 and hopefully get it fixed in a future update.

For others that read this, the problem only effects PBR views on systems that do not support ray tracing.

8 hours ago, scottharris said:

Typically 30 is a good export number

Gotcha, well I must be doing something wrong, because if 30 is the norm my quality is bad.  I always leave it unchecked and start getting good quality in the 2k range

PRELIM KITCHEN at 30 samples.jpg

17 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Gotcha, well I must be doing something wrong, because if 30 is the norm my quality is bad.  I always leave it unchecked and start getting good quality in the 2k range

I'd have to agree, an export at 30 , isn't worth exporting , I normally CAP at 2500......  

( the CAP just stops my 3080Ti running endlessly for little to no gains in visual appear, I have not played in X15 with the new "Denoise Tool" though )

M.

To be clear, changing sample count will not effect the original issue reported in this post, as the issue only occurs in cases where Ray Tracing is not being used.

Sample count is only used when Ray Tracing is supported.  You can use a lower sample count now in X15 because we have added a Denoising option that will denoise and clean up the scene once the max sample count is hit. Make sure you have the Cap Live Samples and Denoise When Complete checkboxes checked in order to make use of the new features.

I have been noticing a significant slow down in rtrt with denoise set quite low at 25, it used to take a few seconds at most, now it takes 15 secs, might seem trivial but it was super fast before, what is happening?

is it a windows update?

Anyone else noticing this slow down?

I am also getting the blue circle of death happen quite regularly, chief is trying to write or update 3d model, takes about 3-4 mins to release..I have sent it in, waiting to hear back from Chief.

It happens so much I might have to stop using x15 until it gets fixed...

2082491288_driverstatus.jpg.a11ffeacdecfc47f333b5d0c42e0d74c.jpg

4 hours ago, BrianBeck said:

To be clear, changing sample count will not effect the original issue reported in this post

My apologies,  I didn't mean to highjack the original OP's concerns.  I should have started a new thread with my question.