3D Molding Poly Line (Crazy Making) Question (Video)

HumbleChief

I simply don't know how to move a 3D molding poly line in plan view or 3D. Nothing like CA to make me feel really stupid - and actually I mean that. There is NO OTHER software that has so many secret handshakes and bizarre techniques that I've ever used that just makes me feel stupid. I've actually pondered the possibility that I am stupid and then I try a new technique in Chief and it confirms my suspicions. [/rant]

http://screencast.com/t/Odt0xsPnsC

3D Molding Plan 2.plan

3D Molding.plan

Larry,

If you made that in an elevation view - just use a "Molding Polyline", not a "3D Molding Polyline".  You only need a "3D Molding Polyline" when all points are not on a common plane.

IAE, moving it is as easy as selecting it, click on Transform/Replicate and Move it. 

Note:  To move any Polyline you must be in the View in which it was created - unless you use Transform/Replicate.

Note 2:  You can "Convert to Symbol" in any 3D View, including Elevations/Sections.

Larry & Joe,

Note:  To move any Polyline you must be in the View in which it was created - unless you use Transform/Replicate.

This is not quite correct.

As in Larry's case, the 3D molding polyline is drawn in an elevation view.

If you want to move it in plan view (say back to the wall). 

Select it, Shift select it again.

You can drag it, or more accurately, you can use point to point move.

Larry,

In the 3D Molding floor plan, when you lose the molding, it is there - it's just that it's up in the attic level.

In camera view, you can click the Up One Floor button and you can see it.

Larry,

If you made that in an elevation view - just use a "Molding Polyline", not a "3D Molding Polyline".  You only need a "3D Molding Polyline" when all points are not on a common plane.

IAE, moving it is as easy as selecting it, click on Transform/Replicate and Move it. 

Note 2:  You can "Convert to Symbol" in any 3D View, including Elevations/Sections.

Thanks Joe but there's no option to create a molding poly line just a 3D molding poly line. Transform/Replicate works to move it. Did I say thanks?

Larry & Joe,

This is not quite correct.

As in Larry's case, the 3D molding polyline is drawn in an elevation view.

If you want to move it in plan view (say back to the wall). 

Select it, Shift select it again.

You can drag it, or more accurately, you can use point to point move.

Larry,

In the 3D Molding floor plan, when you lose the molding, it is there - it's just that it's up in the attic level.

In camera view, you can click the Up One Floor button and you can see it.

Thanks so much. Shift select doesn't seem to do anything that I can tell but yes it's in the attic - where I drew it doh!!

Larry.

In plan view you should be able select the molding line, then while it is selected, Shift select it again. 

Edit: Don't click on a grip - click on a clear piece of line.

You should get a box around the line with one central grip and a rotate handle.

You can move the line with the central grip or use point to point.

I can feel a video coming on.

http://screencast.com/t/afcLILzHI

Why do 3D P-Lines only show that single useless line?

I don't know.  But personally, I've found very few cases where I needed a "3D Molding Polyline.  I can see a use where there's an exterior railing wall that goes up along a stairway, then continues horizontal for a few feet and then turns at an angle left or right.  In that case if I wanted a molding cap to follow the top of the wall I would use a "3D Molding Polyline" but otherwise I always use the "2D" variety. 

Larry.

In plan view you should be able select the molding line, then while it is selected, Shift select it again. 

Edit: Don't click on a grip - click on a clear piece of line.

You should get a box around the line with one central grip and a rotate handle.

You can move the line with the central grip or use point to point.

I can feel a video coming on.

http://screencast.com/t/afcLILzHI

Zoomed way in and grabbed a section of line and it worked - Thanks - Great video - very helpful.

I don't know.  But personally, I've found very few cases where I needed a "3D Molding Polyline.  I can see a use where there's an exterior railing wall that goes up along a stairway, then continues horizontal for a few feet and then turns at an angle left or right.  In that case if I wanted a molding cap to follow the top of the wall I would use a "3D Molding Polyline" but otherwise I always use the "2D" variety. 

I don't get that option, what am I doing wrong?

http://screencast.com/t/cfMJzEODW

Larry,

If you are creating a molding polyline in elevation view, you only get the 3D Molding Polyline option.

OK Glenn, I can call off the crazy/stupid for the time being. Is there another way to create the plant-on molding I was trying to accomplish?

And BTW for anyone else trying this type of plant-on you (or at least I) need to create a molding that 'leans' the other way to get the molding to flow around the outside, regardless of the inside/exterior selection.

This shape gives this result.

post-302-0-63496100-1423102129_thumb.png

Considering the use, I would do the same.  It could be created in Plan but the machinations required to get the orientation and 2D Block right would be quite complicated. 

I'm really not sure why the Molding Polyline is not available in Elevation.  I'm pretty sure that it was in a previous version.

Considering the use, I would do the same.  It could be created in Plan but the machinations required to get the orientation and 2D Block right would be quite complicated. 

I'm really not sure why the Molding Polyline is not available in Elevation.  I'm pretty sure that it was in a previous version.

In an elevation, it's always been that you can only convert to a 3D molding polyline...even in previous versions.